+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler sleep - HELP

Hi mums

I have a 2.5 year old and his sleep has turned to Sh!t in the past few weeks.

His little sister was born 3 months ago and for the first 2 months we thought he was doing ok, but recently it's like he has a fear of sleep, somethings not right.

He gets so upset once we finish stories and songs and go to leave plus usually wakes once during the night and is awake from 5:30 onwards.

We've tried different things like telling him were leaving for 2/4/8 minutes and returning but he's just too hysterical, the only thing that works seems to be staying on his couch until he falls asleep (often will take awhile though as he's so worked up).

His eating has also deteriorated recently, he just won't eat anything. Even his favourite things he has 3 bites of and refuses any more. He's also been showing a lot more signs of jealousy towards his sister lately.

We don't know if we need a psychologist for him? Or for us? Or a sleep consultant? Or just ride it out?

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Here’s Something That Could Help You

Quote Originally Posted by MrsABC View Post
    Hi mums

I have a 2.5 year old and his sleep has turned to Sh!t in the past few weeks.

His little sister was born 3 months ago and for the first 2 months we thought he was doing ok, but recently it's like he has a fear of sleep, somethings not right.

He gets so upset once we finish stories and songs and go to leave plus usually wakes once during the night and is awake from 5:30 onwards.

We've tried different things like telling him were leaving for 2/4/8 minutes and returning but he's just too hysterical, the only thing that works seems to be staying on his couch until he falls asleep (often will take awhile though as he's so worked up).

His eating has also deteriorated recently, he just won't eat anything. Even his favourite things he has 3 bites of and refuses any more. He's also been showing a lot more signs of jealousy towards his sister lately.

We don't know if we need a psychologist for him? Or for us? Or a sleep consultant? Or just ride it out?

Any advice would be welcome

what to do when your toddler won't sleep

This less than 5 minutes video worked for us. Take a look and try it out.
    Pay close attention to the first 1:15 mins and from 2:51 till the end.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by xabianietie; 21-07-2016 at 06:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @VicPark - sleep thread!

In my experience DS was fine with DD for the first week or two and then it went to sh!t.

This is not good advice (for sleep) but we ended up letting him fall asleep in the lounge room. He has only just starting going to sleep in his bed again (one of us has to lie with him).

Regarding jealousy - DS was never that bad with it - only when he is tired/frustrated/cranky. We just try and make sure he is involved in 'looking after his sister' and try and find time alone with him. It will pass eventually.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler sleep - HELP

My dd1 (2 years 9 months at the time) did this shortly after dd2 was born.
    We were quite strict. I felt despite, or even because of the changes in her life it was important to keep consistent and her routines as normal as possible.
    It also stopped her from being feral and demanding the next day and have a knock on effect, poor eating etc.
    So she learnt when it was time for bed, we meant it was bedtime. That had not changed because a baby was now here. I made sure I found that time to spend with her, read her books and do the same routine we always did every night. Some nights it involved holding a screaming baby as it coincided with bed time but it got easier. When she called out during the night I was loving but firm, telling her I needed to sleep and I wasn't coming back in. (I still comfort her when sick or distressed but not for random silly things)

Good luck with it all. The juggle is hard!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 16-07-2016 at 08:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I also bought dd1 a new soft toy which played music to cuddle at bed time. So when she was getting upset when I was leaving I would say "cuddle x to make you feel better, good night" and not go back in. I likened it to a tantrum and let her figure herself out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd see a GP first just to rule out ear infections or a sore throat. The former impacts on sleeping and the latter eating. Also check his molar area for any signs of swelling as that can also cause food fussiness.

DS was a horrible night sleeper plus a fussy eater and didn't improve until 2 when he finally started eating enough. I would do what you can to get him eating more calorie dense foods. Also check for additives. Around 2 a lot of kids are eating "normal" snacks like Shapes or having pies or 2 minute noodles now and then - these common kid-friendly foods are choc full of additives ths t can make falling asleep difficult.

DS also needs his room well lit to fall asleep. He's fine with a night light once he is asleep but at bedtime he has a bedside lamp on (up high so he can't reach it - he's a terror for rearranging his whole room once put to bed!).

DD started bed-hopping at 2am at 2.5yo despite being in a big bed since 18m. Both of mine hit their first bout of serious separation anxiety at that age too. I think it's easy to worry that the new baby is the cause of all problems at this age, but so many people do the planned 2-3y gap which means the newborn comes in the middle of what is just a tricky, needy age. I have 5.5 years between my 2 and am thankful I didn't need to deal with all this plus sleep deprivation/recovery/adjusting all at once. Be kind on yourself, I can only imagine how draining it must be!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I've booked into my doc first thing Monday morning to see if there's anything medically wrong.