+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default advice for adelaide

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice from people in the know about Adelaide. Long story short, I came to Adelaide for 2 days work at 31 weeks. I had clearance to fly/travel from doctor- all that, but had a bleed whilst here and now have placenta previa and am not cleared to travel home to regional WA. I have to stay here in Adelaide until I have the baby, most likely by c-section at around 37 weeks, or sooner if anything untoward happens. As you might imagine this is quite devastating and I'm just trying to keep my chin up.
    My issue is I don't have anything here nor do I know anyone or have any mode of transport other than cabs/buses! At tgis stage i have nothing for a baby or for me in preparation for having this baby. I'm looking for advice for the following:
    - best places to shop for newborn baby essentials that might be nearby to CBD or North Adelaide.
    - best place to shop for the essentials I will need: maternity singlets, bras etc.
    - any nice baby boutiques where I could get some nice items as a bit of a pick me up
    - recommendation of hire places where I could hire a bassinet or pram if I will need one?
    - if anyone has any newborn baby essentials lists or knows a good one online? I have things at home but I really just need to start from scratch here to get the basics to get by before we can travel home with the baby.
    - suggestions of what essentials I will need for myself to cover at least a few days in hospital and then travelling home to WA.
    Thanks in advance, any advice or suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Chelsbb, sorry about your impromtu stay in Adelaide. Where abouts are you having baby? I'm not in Adelaide, but am from remote SA so it is the only place i can really do any baby shopping. target, & kmart are in rundle mall in CBD for simple essentials for you and baby. Adelaide baby hire is a hire website that you can get things from that you might need in the short term. Baby bunting baby shop is on South Road - bus trip from city, or maybe $20 taxi fare from city. There is a baby bunting at gepps cross on main north road - and a babies R Us - same thing a bus ride from the city - or maybe a bit more for a taxi fare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks kazzy36. I'll be having the baby at Women's and Children's hospital. I was an inpatient there for about a week so will continue there now. Had a private OB at home, but will go public here now all this has happened.
    Thanks for your info xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Kmart and target is Rundle mall in the city will have the things you will need, but there is a big Kmart on Anzac hwy about 10mins from town. Where are you staying ? I'll assume if your going to deliver here public it will be at wch in north Adelaide ?

With your PP very odd that it wasn't picked up earlier at your 20wk scan. I just delivered here is Adelaide with grade 4 PP and it was diagnosed at 20wks. I delivered at 37+2 weeks

Ask the doc what grade you are aswell.

Can someone in your family come over when you know what is going on with a due date etc or baby daddy if he is on the scene. I'm sure someone can send over your gear so that you don't need to buy it all.

If your also staying here who is taking care of your business at your place back in WA !

You necessarily be allowed to fly straight away after the c-sec aswell without somesort of medical clearance. So if the doctor says you have PP your going to be here for at least 12weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How awful for you, being stuck so far from home.

Rundle Mall is probably your best bet for shopping, if you're in the city

I hope you've got some kind of support here in Adelaide

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ask the social worker for help. Where are you staying for accomodation?

Highly recommend hire for baby you could just hire things. Might be cheaper to just buy a cheap pram for now until u get home. I would highly recommend a baby zen yoyo although depending on what you do etc pretty cheap and has newborn insert too just call places and get it delivered

Thanks
    Reviews
    You also have YCN on Grote Street in the city who stock all things baby-related.
    Good luck and hope it all goes well when bub arrives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I'm staying in North Adelaide just near the Womens and Children Hospital. Between my hubby, my parents and his mum I will have someone with me all the time until such point as I can either travel home or we have the baby here.
    Not much fun at all but things could be worse so just have to keep my chin up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would probably skip getting a pram and look more at a baby carrier/wrap, it will always come in handy when you go home and you don't have to worry about lugging extra stuff home.
    I've just moved from Adelaide but always did a lot of baby shopping at baby bunting and toys r us in gepps cross. It's only about 10km from north Adelaide. If you find things cheaper online baby bunting will price match.
    All the best for the remainder of your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is a target in main north road - about 5-10 mins north of the women's and children's. Also I think there is a couple of children's boutiques in walkerville terrace - parade Childrens wear and another one I think.
    There is a seed and country road at Norwood - again about 10 minutes away.
    As far as baby shops go, ycn would be your closest but also is pretty expensive. Could you buy online and get it delivered from baby bunting?
    I hope this helps