+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 78 of 78
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,321
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,537
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    He was also an immigrant from Tunisia.

    Who knows what the core factor was. Maybe it was religion. Maybe it was a clash of cultures. Maybe he was mentally ill and it was a case of ****house healthcare. Maybe he was just a deadbeat criminal.
    That's right. Nowadays it's "easy" for crazy people to claim allegiance to ISIS minutes before committing a horrible crime.
    Gives them some sort of purpose and postum fame.

    Apparently he got radicalised very quickly. Whatever that means.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (17-07-2016)

  3. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks
    2,310
    Thanked
    1,390
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm not asking you questions to shut you down. I'm trying to understand. I haven't called anyone names. I think it's quite significant that a white person living in an area predominantly full of white people with hardly any or no friends with backgrounds different to their own could have an opinion that multiculturalism doesn't work when you haven't experienced it. And if you do have friends that aren't white well then isn't that an example of multiculturalism at its best? It's not really my job to convince you that multiculturalism can work and if you really want to know the answer you could do your own research.

    Pauline Hanson has been around in politics for 20 years. Back then she warned everyone of the "Asian invasion" and now her target is Islam. Nothing new, just targeting a different group of people.

    The Brexit vote was 51.9% - 48.1% I'd hardly call it a landslide victory and use it as an example that multiculturalism doesn't work. You know what's interesting about the Brexit vote is that London, one of the most multicultural cities in the world where 270 different nationalities call home voted strongly in favour to remain in the EU.
    Just because someone lives in a predominantly white area with predominantly white friends doesn't mean they don't get it. I fall very much in that category - aside from the odd Asian tourist I haven't seen a non-White person in my area. Definitely only white people in my gated community. But I still understand multiculturalism very well. It's insulting to make assumptions about people based on where the live. You are usually the one making that very clear in your comments and I'm surprised you've said what you have.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (17-07-2016),cheeeeesecake  (17-07-2016),VicPark  (17-07-2016)

  5. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    61
    Reviews
    0
    I'm usually a lurker, but I've noticed people recently complaining about the hub being boring at the moment. I feel like this thread was posted to liven things up but when opinions were questioned people became defensive and were taking things personally and to me at least it's representative of why things are boring at the moment.
    People take things as a personal attack when (seemingly) their views are being challenged.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marshy68 For This Useful Post:

    DJ Nette  (17-07-2016),J37  (17-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-07-2016),VicPark  (17-07-2016)

  7. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,290
    Thanks
    8,234
    Thanked
    3,935
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Do you think our way of life is sustainable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshy68 View Post
    I'm usually a lurker, but I've noticed people recently complaining about the hub being boring at the moment. I feel like this thread was posted to liven things up but when opinions were questioned people became defensive and were taking things personally and to me at least it's representative of why things are boring at the moment.
    People take things as a personal attack when (seemingly) their views are being challenged.
    I get your point.

    For the record, I wasn't offended or felt under attack. I was expecting some debate (and hoping for it). But I was frustrated and felt like I knew where the argument was heading when i was asked about my environment etc and the more I argued my point the more I felt I was opening myself up to misinterpretation.

    Happy to continue discussions about why life as we know it is going to change (probably for the worse) for many other reasons
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 17-07-2016 at 11:42.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

    Marshy68  (17-07-2016),VicPark  (17-07-2016)

  9. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,089
    Thanks
    1,285
    Thanked
    1,181
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just because someone is white/has white friends/ doesn't live in the multicultural western suburbs (like yourself), doesn't mean they don't have anything valid to add to the debate. I have been known to rip shreds off family members who have come out with racist outbursts, however blind Freddy could see that with the recent tragedies in France, Brexit, the rise of Pauline and Jacqui.. That there are difficultuties with the actual implementation of multiculturalist ideals.
    This.

    There are actually quite a lot of academic debates by noted historians and anthropologists about this very topic that have been ongoing for a long time.

    Also, saying that one thinks multiculturalism ideals are flawed doesn't mean that person is anti-multiculturalism.

    Are we so politically correct as a society that we can't question or criticise social and political structures without being labelled as racist?

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (17-07-2016),cheeeeesecake  (17-07-2016),DJ Nette  (17-07-2016),HeavenBlue  (17-07-2016),KitiK  (17-07-2016)

  11. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    1,772
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live in a munticultural area, & both me & my children have close friendships & are heavily involved with different cultures. That being said, I absolutely recognise that there are challenges to living in a multicultural society. It would be very ignorant to suggest otherwise, and unhelpful to pretend these challenges didnt exist.Of course there will be challenges. The question is, are we a society that is willing to overcome these challenges, and work together, or are we a society that willl follow the Jackie Lambies and Pauline Hansons, and be unwilling to overcome our cultural differences.

    In regards to ISIS - I believe they will be the biggest threat of our time, & I think the only way we will stop ISIS is by waging war, which is so sad and unfortunate. They are pute evil, & they will have to be stopped, just as we stopped Hitler and Saddam and Pol Pot.

    In regards to Muslims - I would never tar all people from one group with the same brush. I am a christian & it happens to christian people ALL.THE.TIME. It isnt something that is new, and it isnt something that is exclusive to Muslims. There are extremist christians. There are extremist Muslims. There are extremist athiests. I accept people for who they are regardless of religion or race.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (17-07-2016),witherwings  (17-07-2016)

  13. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks
    2,310
    Thanked
    1,390
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think multiculturalism works in Australia. It's not perfect, however, most of the 'trouble makers' (religious extremists and racists) I suspect would have found ways to cause trouble (under a different 'cause') in a single culture society anyway. There are bad eggs in every group and probably always will be.

  14. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,089
    Thanks
    1,285
    Thanked
    1,181
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I think multiculturalism works in Australia. It's not perfect, however, most of the 'trouble makers' (religious extremists and racists) I suspect would have found ways to cause trouble (under a different 'cause') in a single culture society anyway. There are bad eggs in every group and probably always will be.
    It isn't necessarily religious extremists or racists that are a threat to multiculturalism, sometimes it's just people wanting to keep the status quo and not have their culture or their community threatened by any sort of change, like overdevelopment or big business coming in and destroying the small mum & dad chemist/grocer/florist in town, for example.

    The fear is so ingrained and dormant sometimes that people don't even realise they ARE in fact scared. And this isn't about white Australia, necessarily. It's just about not wanting your quality of life to be affected by change, whether that's having high rise buildings crop up all over your neighbourhood or your jobs being threatened by competition. The biggest threat to a small community is immigration, because people need to live somewhere, and low density zoning just isn't sustainable if you're in a metropolitan area.

    Unfortunately, minority groups are a lot easier to target as the cause of this change, because they are so obviously "immigrants" (never mind the fact that a lot of the non-Anglo-Saxon residents here are 2nd and 3rd generation Australian), even though we have a large % of immigrants from UK, Europe and NZ.

    You're right about trouble makers finding ways to make trouble wherever they are. Turkey's government has just been overthrown. The war in Syria began as a civil war.. Etc


 

Similar Threads

  1. How to get a life?
    By Freyamum in forum General depression and blues
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 16-11-2015, 01:01
  2. My life is over.
    By heplusme in forum Feeling alone
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 17-07-2015, 11:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Unique, non-toxic wooden eco toys for babies. Water-based paints, saliva-resistant & baby safe. Super soft, prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton. Hypoallergenic - great for eczema relief. FREE gift with purchase. Code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car Restraints
Buying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!