+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Yoghurt; 24-07-2016 at 18:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Yoghurt; 24-07-2016 at 18:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Why is this relevant?
    Is it so you can call me white and ignorant and prejudiced?
    If you must know, I live in a low socio economic area and work in a low skilled/paid job, so it's a big mix, but the majority of my friends are white. Not all, but most.
    Does that mean I am not entitled to debate whether it is working?

Why would you think I know the answer to that?

You have completely misunderstood me.

I've told you my reasons for why I think i am beginning to think it won't work- people are unable to live harmoniously together, the rise in radicalism and terrorism, that a large chunk of the population have negative views and opinions of the other, the situation in Europe, the rise of Pauline Hanson and Brexit. Humans as a whole are crappy.

I'm getting frustrated and you have still not convinced me it can work long term, particularly in Europe.

I'm out. This is why I'm so reluctant to discuss it, it's so easy to manipulate ones words and because I'm white I'm clearly prejudiced and ignorant and scared of Muslims. (Which I'm not, and was not the point I was making).

Sigh.
    I'm not asking you questions to shut you down. I'm trying to understand. I haven't called anyone names. I think it's quite significant that a white person living in an area predominantly full of white people with hardly any or no friends with backgrounds different to their own could have an opinion that multiculturalism doesn't work when you haven't experienced it. And if you do have friends that aren't white well then isn't that an example of multiculturalism at its best? It's not really my job to convince you that multiculturalism can work and if you really want to know the answer you could do your own research.

Pauline Hanson has been around in politics for 20 years. Back then she warned everyone of the "Asian invasion" and now her target is Islam. Nothing new, just targeting a different group of people.

The Brexit vote was 51.9% - 48.1% I'd hardly call it a landslide victory and use it as an example that multiculturalism doesn't work. You know what's interesting about the Brexit vote is that London, one of the most multicultural cities in the world where 270 different nationalities call home voted strongly in favour to remain in the EU.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Do you think our way of life is sustainable?

Apparently the guy who drove the truck in nice drank alcohol, took drugs and ate pork who never went to the mosque and was known to police for committing petty crimes. Hardly the epitome of Islam and Muslims. Yet he will get labeled a terrorist and all Muslims will be vilified.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (17-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (16-07-2016),Yoghurt  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you think our way of life is sustainable?

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawaii View Post
    I don't judge a group of people, I judge the people that moved into that area. The area looks disgusting. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours, but I'm out of this discussion as you refuse to listen to anyone else.
    When you admit to voting for Pauline Hanson, I would disagree about the judging!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Apparently the guy who drove the truck in nice drank alcohol, took drugs and ate pork who never went to the mosque and was known to police for committing petty crimes. Hardly the epitome of Islam and Muslims. Yet he will get labeled a terrorist and all Muslims will be vilified.
    As most of the terrorists do. The one from the Bataclan were dealing drugs too.
    I don't think Daesh represents Islam at all.

By the same token I have Muslim friends that drink alcohol. It doesn't make them less Muslim.

At the end of the day one of the goal of those terrorists is that Muslims get vilified.
    I don't believe they'll succeed in France. Very large Muslim population and no stigma attached to them. Obviously the far right wouldn't say what I just did...

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you admit to voting for Pauline Hanson, I would disagree about the judging!
    How about you go back and read what I said originally, I said I didn't vote for her, but don't let that get in the way of having a go at me.

Don't bother replying to me. I'm not posting again. Can't be bothered with this crap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Daesh/Isis has issued a claim for the attack and said the driver was one of their "solder".

So far they have never made an opportunist claim and chances are they will keep issuing small proofs of their responsibility little by little... Storytelling to keep people talking about them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm not asking you questions to shut you down. I'm trying to understand. I haven't called anyone names. I think it's quite significant that a white person living in an area predominantly full of white people with hardly any or no friends with backgrounds different to their own could have an opinion that multiculturalism doesn't work when you haven't experienced it. And if you do have friends that aren't white well then isn't that an example of multiculturalism at its best? It's not really my job to convince you that multiculturalism can work and if you really want to know the answer you could do your own research.

Pauline Hanson has been around in politics for 20 years. Back then she warned everyone of the "Asian invasion" and now her target is Islam. Nothing new, just targeting a different group of people.

The Brexit vote was 51.9% - 48.1% I'd hardly call it a landslide victory and use it as an example that multiculturalism doesn't work. You know what's interesting about the Brexit vote is that London, one of the most multicultural cities in the world where 270 different nationalities call home voted strongly in favour to remain in the EU.
    Just because someone is white/has white friends/ doesn't live in the multicultural western suburbs (like yourself), doesn't mean they don't have anything valid to add to the debate. I have been known to rip shreds off family members who have come out with racist outbursts, however blind Freddy could see that with the recent tragedies in France, Brexit, the rise of Pauline and Jacqui.. That there are difficultuties with the actual implementation of multiculturalist ideals.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (17-07-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (17-07-2016),HeavenBlue  (17-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (16-07-2016),TheGooch  (16-07-2016),witherwings  (17-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    He was also an immigrant from Tunisia.

Who knows what the core factor was. Maybe it was religion. Maybe it was a clash of cultures. Maybe he was mentally ill and it was a case of ****house healthcare. Maybe he was just a deadbeat criminal.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (17-07-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (17-07-2016)