+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    And whether people are justified or not in being scared does not change the fact they ARE scared. Simply just saying "oh it's because they come from white neighbourhoods and are ignorant" does not help matters at all. It means people are not willing to discuss their concerns for fear of looking or being accused of being ignorant and/or racist and further compounds the secrecy and suspicion people hold and doesn't address the issue.
    But why are people scared? I am genuinely curious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you think our way of life is sustainable?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    What is it about multiculturalism that you don't think can work or has worked?

Do you live in a multicultural area?

How multicultural is your circle of friends and your children's (if they're old enough) circle of friends?
    Why is this relevant?
    Is it so you can call me white and ignorant and prejudiced?
    If you must know, I live in a low socio economic area and work in a low skilled/paid job, so it's a big mix, but the majority of my friends are white. Not all, but most.
    Does that mean I am not entitled to debate whether it is working?

But why are people scared? I am genuinely curious.
    Why would you think I know the answer to that?

You have completely misunderstood me.

I've told you my reasons for why I think i am beginning to think it won't work- people are unable to live harmoniously together, the rise in radicalism and terrorism, that a large chunk of the population have negative views and opinions of the other, the situation in Europe, the rise of Pauline Hanson and Brexit. Humans as a whole are crappy.

I'm getting frustrated and you have still not convinced me it can work long term, particularly in Europe.

I'm out. This is why I'm so reluctant to discuss it, it's so easy to manipulate ones words and because I'm white I'm clearly prejudiced and ignorant and scared of Muslims. (Which I'm not, and was not the point I was making).

Sigh.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 16-07-2016 at 10:14.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (16-07-2016),VicPark  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    They are scared because their way of life is being threatened, or I should say they assume their way of life is going to change ,
    it's ignorance , anything that's not the same as what we do , we believe is inferior , we take on opinions of those we hang out with, we judge people based on their religion, race , or what they wear , we blame other people for our problems ( minority groups taking jobs, Asians pushing up house prices etc ) that all breeds racism and yes the media fuels the fire

I've been selling people's homes in and around the Hurstville , Lakemba and St George areas for 25 years, I've listed and sold to just about every ethnic and religious group there is , I've had, and still do have your older "Australian" owners tell me not to sell their home to Muslims, or Asians ( or which ever group they don't like) as it will ruin the neighbourhood- it's purely fear of the Unknown - I've also thankfully seen all these minority groups fit in beautifully with these older Aussies once they actually give them the time to get to know them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it's fear of the unknown and fear of change or perceived change.

I think multiculturalism can and does work among those who are open to it but there will always be those who aren't. So i couldn't say that everyone, everywhere will get along one day. But i think that multicultural communities can definitely thrive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yoghurt For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I believe in the human race and in the love between all the people of different countries and religions.

People of scared of the unknown. Once you're able to put faces against what scares you, you realise that people from other countries and religions are just the same as you. Same love for their families, same daily worries, same hope for the future.

I don't believe the world is scariest today but I believe our western world had been protected from war/terrorism deaths for a long time. Other countries weren't so lucky.

Anyway...
    Coming from France, I can say that multicuralism works over there in many areas but we have also created terrible pockets of drugs and poverty by parking migrants in suburbs only made of terrible commission flats.

I personally found Australia with louder racist views than France. Maybe it's because it seems ok to voice racists comments here?! No idea.
    Overall I see many communities living in harmony alongside each other here in Melbourne.

As for our way of life being sustainable, I do believe we make too many children and we buy too much stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A survey in France was showing that the people who had the most negative opinions towards other communities where the one living in the areas with no other communities than their own...

The one that lived in a mix of communities had positive sentiment.

Yes it's easily explained that the first group is scared because all they "know" about these communities are through the news.

The second group though know that these communities are just the same than themselves.
    Struggling to find a work, worried about money and paying the bills, rushing home to look after the family... Just the same. Only different clothes/skin colour/religion etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I didn't live there but I certainly wouldn't judge a whole group of people because some people in one street didn't look after their garden. How ridiculous and petty.
    I don't judge a group of people, I judge the people that moved into that area. The area looks disgusting. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours, but I'm out of this discussion as you refuse to listen to anyone else.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @LittleMissSunshine I get where you're coming from. It is frustrating to see legitimate questions dismissed as implying you obviously just don't understand and are clearly racist.

I am mixed race. I am 'multicultural'. I have lived in many multicultural communities. I am not racist. My questioning multiculturalism is not questioning whether 'other people' can live in 'my country'. It doesn't mean I don't understand it, or can't see the benefits of a functioning multicultural community.

It is questioning whether *all* people of different belief systems, language backgrounds, and yes, in some instances, value systems, can find a way to inhabit the same space peacefully. I think many Australian indigenous people would say no. Recent events would suggest no.

I think manipulating this into just a comment against Islam is disingenuous. My suggesting multiculturalism isn't necessarily working isn't the same as saying 'people should just go back where they come from'. It's just acknowledging that there are examples all over the world where it doesn't seem to be working. These countries aren't all western, and it isn't a recent issue.

It hurts me to admit. But I think it's an important conversation.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (17-07-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (16-07-2016),cheeeeesecake  (16-07-2016),HeavenBlue  (16-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (16-07-2016),TheGooch  (16-07-2016),witherwings  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Yoghurt; 24-07-2016 at 18:42.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @Yoghurt I agree with you about the media. I was so cranky when I read the driver 'was heard to have cried Allahu Akbar (God is Great) just before he died'. Because I'm sure over the crying, screaming, and noise of gunfire that everyone could totally hear that 😡

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (16-07-2016),TheGooch  (16-07-2016)