+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Yoghurt; 24-07-2016 at 18:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I just throw it out there that I'm
    Pretty sure that in the near future veganism will be compulsory or at least the only dietary option available?.. Just saying..

Ps: I'm not a vegan in any way. But I can't see how we can sustain the level of animal agriculture while the population is growing at the rate it is, with the limited resources we have.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you think our way of life is sustainable?

Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Can I just throw it out there that I'm
    Pretty sure that in the near future veganism will be compulsory or at least the only dietary option available?.. Just saying..

Ps: I'm not a vegan in any way. But I can't see how we can sustain the level of animal agriculture while the population is growing at the rate it is, with the limited resources we have.
    I thought the future was bugs?
    They also have a high protein content.
    Mmmmm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    That's not what I'm asking at all. I'm not asking anyone to "fit in". I'm asking if people of ALL religions and cultures (and yes that means Anglos too) can get along in one society.

I agree media reporting, jumping to conclusions and fear mongering (particularly in the daily telegraph) leaves a lot to be desired.
    Back to my first post... I believe that the people who don't think multiculturalism works don't know people of different cultures. And they are scared. A recent survey found that 40% of Australians surveyed felt that Australia was weakened by ethnic minorities sticking to their "old ways" aka not assimilating or integrating as was mentioned earlier.

Almost 50% of people surveyed were negative towards Muslims. The survey also revealed that almost 30% of people are negative towards Asians. It is nothing more than fear that makes people feel negative about other cultures.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Prejudice is what makes people believe that multiculturalism doesn't work and it's right here in this thread...the implication that Muslim people are rude and don't look after their gardens .
    It's great that multiculturalism works in your area, I simply stated what my grandparents suburb turned into and their experience with it, I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but you wouldn't know what it's like unless you lived there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawaii View Post
    It's great that multiculturalism works in your area, I simply stated what my grandparents suburb turned into and their experience with it, I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but you wouldn't know what it's like unless you lived there.
    No I didn't live there but I certainly wouldn't judge a whole group of people because some people in one street didn't look after their garden. How ridiculous and petty.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 16-07-2016 at 06:43.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Joeee  (17-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Back to my first post... I believe that the people who don't think multiculturalism works don't know people of different cultures. And they are scared. A recent survey found that 40% of Australians surveyed felt that Australia was weakened by ethnic minorities sticking to their "old ways" aka not assimilating or integrating as was mentioned earlier.

Almost 50% of people surveyed were negative towards Muslims. The survey also revealed that almost 30% of people are negative towards Asians. It is nothing more than fear that makes people feel negative about other cultures.
    The fact that such a large proportion have negative views towards another is the reason I think multicilturalism might not be able to work. Just because I think it might not work does not necessarily mean I am also scared of others- but the general population as a whole is. And in turn Muslims then have the mentality that all white people are racist abd don't want them here and it makes everything worse. I get so frustrated we can't seem to have a civilised discussion on the matter (not talking about bubhub here). I think it's something politicians around the world need to consider.
    As has been discussed discrimination and intolerance breeds isolation, hatred and social divide, which breeds intolerance. It's a vicious cycle.
    And intolerance and racial hatred certainly does exists, on both sides, even if your suburb does not reflect that.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 16-07-2016 at 07:43.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

And whether people are justified or not in being scared does not change the fact they ARE scared. Simply just saying "oh it's because they come from white neighbourhoods and are ignorant" does not help matters at all. It means people are not willing to discuss their concerns for fear of looking or being accused of being ignorant and/or racist and further compounds the secrecy and suspicion people hold and doesn't address the issue.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 16-07-2016 at 07:35.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (16-07-2016),cheeeeesecake  (16-07-2016),HeavenBlue  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is it about multiculturalism that you don't think can work or has worked?

Do you live in a multicultural area?

How multicultural is your circle of friends and your children's (if they're old enough) circle of friends?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing is when someone from a minority group commits a crime we judge all of them but we don't do the same for white people.

The reason so many people think negatively about Muslims comes down to the media plain and simple.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast