+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you think our way of life is sustainable?

Because it's been quiet on bubhub I thought I'd start this thread.

I'm feeling a bit doom and gloom.

I feel our current lifestyles - particularly in the western world- is becoming increasingly unsustainable and some dramatic changes are going to/need to happen.

What with-
    Climate change and our current living habitats
    Globalisation and capitalism creating global behemoths and increasing the gulf between haves and have nots
    Outsourcing and disappearing of menial and labour intensive jobs for the lower skilled thanks to technology
    The quagmire that is the Middle East and subsequent refugee crisis
    The rise of radicalisation and terrorism
    Brexit
    Fear mongering of Muslims creating a social divide, and the incompatibility of modern life and the free world with some religious preachers/followers - which is also leading to the the rise of leaders such as Trump, Pauline Hansen
    A general undercurrent of discontent with our current political offerings around the world

The future of the world is too busy playing Pokemon go to actually get active and do anything....

So..... Dramatic much? That's all I Can think of off the top of my head

So any takers? Thoughts? Let's have a controversial opinion.

I think we are doomed.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-07-2016 at 14:38.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (16-07-2016),VicPark  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the events of today has filled many with doom & gloom. I can't be controversial as I agree with you that the world has actually gone a bit crazy (maybe that's why so many are happy to bury their heads searching for pokemons). I want to think you are being dramatic but .... well I don't

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Yoghurt; 24-07-2016 at 18:40.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you think our way of life is sustainable?

There are two changes in my thinking lately. I'm really disheartened abd beginning to wonder if multiculturalism actually works. Here in Australia is hasn't been that bad. It's a beautiful idea, all cultures and races living in harmony. I'm not sure humans as a whole are capable of this. It also has created social divide, misunderstanding and pockets of isolation. No integration and incompatibility- if you get my point.

And with capitalism- there is only so much money you can make. But it is never enough. The shareholders want and demand more. Personally I think it's an abhorrent idea and promotes human greed. And endless corporate downsizing and job losses.

God forbid i'm starting to think I'm a communist. Glad I'm fairly anonymous here- reds under the bed anyone?!?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-07-2016 at 14:41.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (15-07-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (16-07-2016),harvs  (15-07-2016),TheGooch  (15-07-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Yeah I'm pretty low as well. We all seem to be on this pretty bad trajectory for all of the things you mentioned @LittleMissSunshine and I can't see a way out of it.

Super depressed about it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have progressed so quickly since the industrial revolution, I do think it is unsustainable.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can understand the aggravation with Pokemon Go. At the same time, it has been documented that feeling nostalgic promotes happiness and good health.

Just because our nostalgic memories may be in a different place or pursuit, doesn't mean we should deprive others from what nostalgic memories they will look back on.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (15-07-2016),harvs  (15-07-2016),HeavenBlue  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have deep thoughts on these topics, but it just makes me sad. Sometimes I want to bury my head in the sand and not read the news.

Thanks
    Reviews