+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does anyone else struggle with changing mode?

I am struggling to change mode from Mum/ Wife to student.

My big focus is on Uni, but I'm having a hard time getting into and keeping that mode on, particularly when the kids and DH are around.

How do you balance your study time? Do you allocate a dedicated time or do you go with the flow with the kids around?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't get any study done when the kids are around - I have to wait until daycare days (2 a week) or stay up late after they've gone to sleep. Even DH is too distracting.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (17-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    do you have any times available each week when you know they won't be around and you can solely focus? Maybe even try going to the library or somewhere away fro the home to study if it is possible. That was probably my biggest help in making the transition once DS started school - to remove myself from the environment where I was mum

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pointless1 For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (17-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely I need a dedicated time. I've done a lot of study, pre and post ds and I have to have times dedicated to doing study. I can't study with ds around so I do it when he's in bed at night and during naps. DH leaves me alone when I study (he's usually working too) so this works for me. There's no way I can study with ds awake as he always wants something from me.

If you need to then leave the house - go to Uni/local library/coffee shop to study. It's just too hard otherwise with constant interruptions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (17-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to have dedicated time or it just won't happen. Either DS and DH at daycare/work during the week or on the weekends I go to the local library. Getting out of the house helps me switch off and reminds me of my carefree, pre-family undergrad days too!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Adoralicious For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (17-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoralicious View Post
    I have to have dedicated time or it just won't happen. Either DS and DH at daycare/work during the week or on the weekends I go to the local library. Getting out of the house helps me switch off and reminds me of my carefree, pre-family undergrad days too!
    I miss those days so much

I'm on my last two units, so hopefully I can keep it together for the next 14 weeks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (01-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomia View Post
    I miss those days so much

I'm on my last two units, so hopefully I can keep it together for the next 14 weeks.
    Good luck for the home stretch!! So close, you got this!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoralicious View Post
    Good luck for the home stretch!! So close, you got this!!
    Thank you. I've got DD in childcare atm, just to help me out.

I have to say though, it felt a little odd studying in peace and quiet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also study after kids are in bed. Most of the days I wish I could just go to bed and sleep, getting that motivation to bring myself in front of the laptop is so hard. And stopping checking what's happening to this whole world is even harder. However, once I am into my study, I am very productive and seeing the progress I've made makes me to study more.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HLE For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (01-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HLE View Post
    I also study after kids are in bed. Most of the days I wish I could just go to bed and sleep, getting that motivation to bring myself in front of the laptop is so hard. And stopping checking what's happening to this whole world is even harder. However, once I am into my study, I am very productive and seeing the progress I've made makes me to study more.
    I had the whole day, the absolute whole day to myself and nothing,nada a single word of any accounting textbook was read.

Why is it at 10:41pm, when I tried to go to bed two hours ago that I am now awake and ready to study. I don't know what the heck is wrong with me.