+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I expressed in the early days to maintain supply as ds had latching issues that took a few weeks to resolve. I continued to pump on and off but it reached a point where BF became easier and the lazier option. since then, I've put put the pump away and haven't used it for ages. I BF ds and when I have had something to drink or dh is doing a feed, we just use formula. ds has on average 1-2 bottles of formula a day, the rest are all BF (especially at night haha, I'm too lazy to get out of bed when it's freezing lol).

my ds is 4.5m and we are at the point where BF is just the easiest option.

you definitely don't need to pump.

what do you do if you're going out/having a few drinks? just give formula instead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never pumped with either of my 2. I exclusively bf them and continued feeding past 15mths with both with no supply issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Should i be expressing?

Quote Originally Posted by michellek View Post
    I never pumped with either of my 2. I exclusively bf them and continued feeding past 15mths with both with no supply issue.
    I assume you're not currently working? how do you manage it when you go out or if you've been drinking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I assume you're not currently working? how do you manage it when you go out or if you've been drinking?
    I'm lucky in that I'm a sahm. I never drank as long as I was bf so that was a non issue and if I absolutely had to go out on my own I timed it around feeds. Time alone is pretty much non existent for me, I always have at least 1 child with me. Its just how our situation placed us

5. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should i be expressing?

I'm just starting the weaning process with my breastfed 12.5 month old DD. The only times I have ever expressed were:
    - when she was born she was in special care for 2 weeks with a nasogastric tube in. I needed to build up supply fast to tube feed her during that time as they put her straight on formula til my milk came in.
    - the times I tried to give her an expressed bottle when I was losing my mind and wanted a break from her in the first few months. She never wanted a bottle (so all the milk got wasted ) only me and I got used to that and as she got older and feeds went longer it became a non-issue.
    I don't think there is any reason to express 'just because' to maintain supply if you are well established. If bub is exclusively feeding off the breast your supply should be well regulated.
    Don't doubt yourself you're doing great
    ETA to clarify my just because comment which didn't sound right lol.
    Last edited by gingermillie; 14-07-2016 at 22:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I could only express with my first. I had a tonne of milk. It was insane.

My second loathed bottles so it was pointless

With #3 I had no milk when I expressed. Couldn't get a drop.

I didn't even try with #4. Honestly in terms of going out or having a life you just get better at juggling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    #1, I owned a pump but it was rarely used as ds wouldn't take a bottle anyway.
    #2 and #3, I haven't owned a pump and exclusively breastfed both. It hasn't been an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am glad that I have a breast pump...it turns out that I'm a good cow so there have been many times that I have needed to pump because my DD generally only feeds from one side each feed and the other side has been super full/engorged as well so I've needed the pump to even things up. Or when I stopped feeding her at night I still needed to pump in the middle of the night for awhile until my supply settled down because I'd be so full of milk it would be painful! Thankfully now at 9 months things are settling down and I barely need to use my pump anymore (and I don't seem to get much anymore when I do). I certainly wouldn't do it if I didn't need to, it's such a PITA!
    @turquoisecoast, I didn't drink/go out until my DD was reliably sleeping through the night as I was 'on call' around the clock and she wouldn't take a bottle (ebm or formula). She will take a bottle now though and I just give her formula if she has a bottle feed. But because she's sleeping through I feel pretty safe about having a drink with my dinner after she's in bed if I want one. You can download an app called Feed Safe (put out by the ABA), that tells you when you can safely breastfeed again after having a drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't actually know many people who express tbh. I have a pump and do sometimes to try and have a break from BF (doesn't work as DD hates the bottle).

So its not actually necessary at all. I find it so time consuming and annoying!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (16-07-2016)

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course you don't have to pump! If you're happy doing every feed and not leaving baby, no point in pumping.

DD is 3 months. I pump off 1 boob pretty much every morning. I have a freezer full lol. I don't hired that much, but don't want to lose the ability to pump if I stop routinely doing it.

I pump because I need time alone. I need to not be solely relief upon, as selfish as that may sound, it's just how I am. Not that DD has a bottle often. Maybe 3 times a week?