+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Should i be expressing?

I have 3 children and a baby all of which were breastfed and I never pumped. A friend of mine asked me recently whether I was pumping and what breast pump she should get. It got me wondering if I should be pumping too!? I don't think I'll be away from my almost 4 month old any time soon. And even when I do pump my milk "goes off" quickly due to high lipase and to be honest, I partly breastfeed due to laziness so having to scald milk before storing is just more effort I can do without.

Should I then express to "maintain supply"??

Ugh. I don't know why I am doubting myself, I guess I just need reassurance thst not all mums express
    Last edited by SookiLala; 15-07-2016 at 12:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never pumped either with #2 & #3 as im always around to feed or not far away. I pumped a little stash for a few evenings out.and for when I went back to work but both #2 & #3 refused bottles/ebm in cups etc so just went without and had food/water.
    I returned to work when both were around 9-9mths and both were good eaters.
    Ds1 had top up bottles from an early age and I rtw when he was 4.5mths so completely different experience.
    My reasoning for not pumping was why bother if im always there to feed them

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks so much. I feel the same about being there to feed too. Fingers crossed that still happens for us. I just read about people expressing and then question my supply because I don't express etc ugh. I must be pmsing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol nah you're just a busy mum who is happy doing things her way. People ask(ed) me if I ever got time out to myself and left bubs with hubby etc and said I needed to get out/away from baby etc. I did go out etc just between feeds and after bedtime 😉

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (15-07-2016)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmInayah View Post

Should I then express to "maintain supply"??

(
    I think the quick answer is "no".
    Breastfed babies are awesome at building and maintaining supply, they really know what they are doing
    I was the worst pumper, the best pump I had was the Medela but I would be lucky to get 40 mls at a time, yet I had 4 very chubby well fed bubbas!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (14-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (15-07-2016),SookiLala  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should i be expressing?

I thought pumping was only necessary to increase supply/bottle feed ebm?

I'm breastfeeding my second (8.5 months) and my first for 2 years and both times I returned to work after 12 months and neither of mine took a bottle despite me having an occasional (very rare!) evening out so my pump was a complete waste of money and didn't get any use lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. We evolved to have a baby feeding around the clock, not to require a machine to keep up supply. Your body's working exactly how it ought to. You only need to pump if you need to pump.

My son doesn't like to drink milk from anything but me. He's 13 months. I have to express 3 times a week, due to being away from him for work in the evenings (then don't feed him until morning). No way would I be expressing if I didn't have to!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you mean scald it? I just popped it in the freezer and thawed/warmed it when needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    What do you mean scald it? I just popped it in the freezer and thawed/warmed it when needed.
    Some ladies have higher lipase in Thier milk so the taste goes 'soapy' if the milk isn't scalded, most of us don't need to.... I pumped early in as he was bad on boob before my milk supply got better and I returned to work pt at 7w so pumping continued... I have recently stopped pumping at work as supply has really decreased despite reg feeds when I'm home. Ds just turned 2.... Feels so free not to pump! One of the other girls at wk has just returned after mat leave though so she uses my office to pump since I have my own office! So it's still boobyville!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisau77 For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (15-07-2016),Wise Enough  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only ever expressed when i had to go to work and needed to make up stock of BM for Bub for while I was at work. I hated expressing as it took at least twice as long as BF and I didn't like having to wash bottles and freeze the milk and defrost etc. such a pain. If you're not planning to be away from your baby for any length of time during their feeding times then I really wouldn't worry about it. You did perfectly fine without expressing for your other babies so you'll probably be fine never buying a breast pump this time around

I did have to express early on a couple of times for medical reasons so it was good having the pump on hand. But that's the only reason you would need a pump,

17. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (15-07-2016)