+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about the "Safe Schools" program

I don't have any children in my family currently in main****** school so I'm not familiar with it although i keep hearing about it.
    What is it? What is it supposed to achieve? Is it effective/are kids talking about it?/is it just symbolic? Is it costly?
    I'll be googling a bit too but a lot of what I'm finding is waffle from both sides. I want to hear from parents with kids in school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would love to know too. One one hand, I've heard it is a great program teaching kids to celebrate and accept diversity and differences in s3xuality. I've heard that it will be life-saving for some kids in knowing that it is ok to be gay, or transexual,etc. It all sounds great from that end. But on the other hand,I've heard it is way OTT and teaches 9 year old primary school kids about things like an@l s3x and I've heard some ramblings about paedophilia too.... not even sure how that came into it? Honestly,the 'vibe' I got was that those who oppose the program are really just homophobic, so they try to find other excuses as to why they would oppose the program. I dont think I would be really comfortable with my 9yo learning about an@l s3x from a teacher in a classroom if that really were true... but my gut feeling is that surely it cant be true? So I'm not sure what to believe!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I'm confused by this and how much of it is true.
    I don't care if people want to poke each others poopers but I'm not okay with unregulated s.ex education of kids - heteronormative or otherwise - in the name of being open minded.
    I want to believe they aren't actually doing this and it's just the misguided ramblings of someone who is generally uncomfortable with "queer in the classroom".
    I honestly just don't know enough about it or how i feel.
    Is it not enough to say that schools are safe places from ALL forms of discrimination and to just enforce that by not tolerating bullying etc? Is a full on program necessary? Is it part of the curriculum or being run like the Child Safety/Peer Support style classes (do these still exist?)?
    I experienced real physical violence and years of ostracism in school as a result of discrimination. I was alone, hated and scared. Many others would/still do experience this. So why is a program only now being implemented to end one form of discrimination rather than addressing it for what it is - a bullying issue. (I say this because no amount of handholding and open minded feeling sharing in school would have solved the fact that the discrimination i faced was a result of what these kids heard at home from family and on their televisions. Perhaps i am disillusioned but i wonder whether any programs would change "homophobic" attitudes that are reinforced in kids from home.)
    Sorry for the ramble.
    I hope someone can shed more light on this because to me it's starting to sound like political waffle/point scoring talk (from BOTH sides) more than anything.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yoghurt For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I absolutely see what you are saying. I also faced bullying due to being the lone christian kid at school, & as a teacher, I've seen children as young as 5 teasing ither 5 year olds because they go to church 😳 Unfortunately it is something that the kids learn from the parents. I think schools should be teaching acceptance and love across all areas of diversity - including religion, race and sexual preference. That someone isnt defined by their religion, their race, or their sexual preference.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (15-07-2016),Yoghurt  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum is the school health nurse so I asked her what the big hoo ha is (she teaches the s3x ed).
    On the surface I think it seems like a really positive thing to reduce bullying and help kids questioning their s3xuality to be open about it. So I was like what's the problem? Why are all these opponents of the program so homophobic?
    Her point was that the program starts in year 1! Not the usual stuff like some families have 2 daddies/2 mummies/1 mum/1 dad/grandparents etc (play school type stuff), but talking about s3xuality with 6 year olds.
    I don't think it's necessary to introduce at such a young age, when most kids have no idea what s3x they are attracted to (apart from a few exceptions).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Yes I absolutely see what you are saying. I also faced bullying due to being the lone christian kid at school, & as a teacher, I've seen children as young as 5 teasing ither 5 year olds because they go to church Unfortunately it is something that the kids learn from the parents. I think schools should be teaching acceptance and love across all areas of diversity - including religion, race and sexual preference. That someone isnt defined by their religion, their race, or their sexual preference.
    Exactly! Teaching acceptance in the early years and bring the safe schools stuff in as part of s3x ed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    My mum is the school health nurse so I asked her what the big hoo ha is (she teaches the s3x ed).
    On the surface I think it seems like a really positive thing to reduce bullying and help kids questioning their s3xuality to be open about it. So I was like what's the problem? Why are all these opponents of the program so homophobic?
    Her point was that the program starts in year 1! Not the usual stuff like some families have 2 daddies/2 mummies/1 mum/1 dad/grandparents etc (play school type stuff), but talking about s3xuality with 6 year olds.
    I don't think it's necessary to introduce at such a young age, when most kids have no idea what s3x they are attracted to (apart from a few exceptions).
    Hmm i definitely have a problem with this then. You can't explain sexuality and sexual preferences without involving sexual attraction in the conversation. (And before some idiot calls me a heterosexual bigot, no I wouldn't talk to a six year old boy about having a girlfriend either)

At that age it should be limited to the "some people have two mum or two dads and that's okay"/family diversity talk.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoghurt For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (15-07-2016),rosey82  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Tell me about the "Safe Schools" program

Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    I disagree - I think 1st class ( 6 and 7 years olds) is the right time to start talking about it - girls are reaching puberty earlier, they all should be taught from a young age that same sex relationships are normal, what is appropriate touching and what is not , what feelings are normal to have etc - kids are exposed to so much more sex related topics on social media and tv than we ever were so it needs to be addressed earlier , I'm not talking about telling them all the gory intimate details first up but they need to know and I think that age is fine

My friend works for child services and she goes into high schools giving talks on domestic violence which I said was a great idea but she says high school is too late, these kind of talks need to happen in primary school as this is when kids are learning bad behaviours and ideas , mainly from their parents and other adults

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (15-07-2016),gingermillie  (16-07-2016),HillDweller  (15-07-2016),LaDiDah  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I disagree - I think 1st class ( 6 and 7 years olds) is the right time to start talking about it - girls are reaching puberty earlier, they all should be taught from a young age that same sex relationships are normal, what is appropriate touching and what is not , what feelings are normal to have etc - kids are exposed to so much more sex related topics on social media and tv than we ever were so it needs to be addressed earlier , I'm not talking about telling them all the gory intimate details first up but they need to know and I think that age is fine
    But why are we dressing s.ex education up as anti-discrimination education?

I think s.ex education should be more inclusive of non-heteronormative discussion but I'm not comfortable with kids that age having s.ex education classes at all. Anti-discrimination and inclusive "lets all be friends, it's okay to be gay" etc is a completely different ball game.

I'm sure a lot of parents feel mislead about what (and when) their children are learning about this stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as appropriate touching etc - schools have taught this for YEARS as "Child Protection" classes

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoghurt For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (15-07-2016),Mrs Tickle  (27-07-2016)