+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Travelling overseas with newborn

Has anyone done this? How old was your Bub?

We are considering travelling to Europe at the start of Jan. DH is adamant that we are going but I'm nervous to commit to the idea because we will have a newborn baby.

Bub is due 9th November but more likely to come a week overdue, like my previous 2 boys, so I'm expecting a 16th November birth date or thereabouts.. He will therefore be about 7 weeks old when we plan to go. Just in time for first round of vax and he will be breastfed.

We can't go any later because Ds1 starts school at the end of January and we don't want him to miss his first day of big school. How important is the first day for a child? (Kindergarten in NSW) I think it's a pretty big deal but DH doesn't think so: regardless, he has agreed that if we go, we will be back before school starts, which will give us about 3 weeks overseas. It wouldn't be worth going for any less time given the cost for 4 full price tickets.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

ETA: I just realised we will also need a few days buffer between coming back and school starting so that DS1 can get over any jet lag.

Also, we travelled with our Ds1 overseas when he was 11/12 weeks old and it was fine, easiest travel ever, but 6-7 weeks just seems so much more fragile..
    Last edited by witherwings; 14-07-2016 at 09:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a friend who did this - she had a 3 year old DD and her DS was just over 6 weeks (she actually got induced so he would be old enough to have his vaccinations before they left!! Another story!). They did Europe and Hong Kong.

I think it was hard but the advantage is he slept a lot on the plane etc and was very portable. I think as long as you have feeding established and are prepared to deal with a bit of uncertainty it should be fine. Just make sure you get good travel insurance in case you needed to cancel etc.

Having travelled with a young Bub before I think you will be fine, you already know what to expect - I don't think a 7 week old would be any harder to travel with but it's probably more about how you feel. Whether you will be recovered enough, feel OK mentally, cope ok sleep deprived etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @sunnygirl79 ! That's very reassuring
    Do you think it makes a difference that we will be in the alps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it would be doable. At 7 weeks they literally just need you. Invest in a really good baby carrier and just strap bub on. My main consideration would actually be my own wellbeing. Growing and birthing a baby is hard. You need time to recover and time to be nurtured. Your DH should be told VERY clearly that your comfort should be put first during the trip. Work to your schedule. Eat when and where you need. Stay places that you have space and comfort. All that kind of stuff. Also I would need to be be very organised with travel insurance and knowing exactly what my options are if Bub or needed an health care. So yes I would go but I would lay down the law first!

And yes I think the first day of school is very important and would not miss it.

Good luck xxx

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (14-07-2016),witherwings  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice about the travelling that hasn't already been given. However as far as first day of school - it is VERY important. DS1 missed his because my ex failed to return him from a contact visit. He was devastated all the kids had chosen their desks and he was sitting off towards the back by himself. I also don't have a photo of his first day of school - which I'm still sad about over 15 years later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Thank you @sunnygirl79 ! That's very reassuring
    Do you think it makes a difference that we will be in the alps?
    Not sure how? I would just make sure you have nice comfy accom with kitchenette facilities etc so you don't have to venture out if you don't want to. And plenty of warm clothes! Agree your comfort is the main consideration

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If everything went to plan it may be doable.

I personally find I'm pretty fragile (emotionally) for a while after having a baby so I would not want to go on that basis alone. Breastfeeding and caring for a newborn makes me tired too - I would probably be too tired to enjoy any touristy stuff. I also found when I got to number three that my older two kids started to fight. A lot. It was an attention thing and mostly happened when I was looking after the baby. Your DH would be with you on the trip so it would probably be okay.

If you are fine with that, there are also the what ifs to consider:

What if you end up needing a c/s? I found it took me longer to recover from my c/s than a complicated VB.
    Or what if you haven't healed properly after the birth (ie stitches)?
    What if there are other birth complications that affect you and your ability to bounce back?
    What if you have trouble establishing breastfeeding?
    What if the baby has reflux and screams around the clock?
    What if the baby has another medical condition that needs attention?

ETA - just a thought. The baby would also need a passport. You would need to factor time taken to have that processed into your plans as well - I'm guessing you would need to have the birth certificate done prior to applying for the passport, so it could take a while.

ETA ETA - I guess it all boils down to whether or not you can afford to cover / are happy to lose any out of pocket expenses you may incur if you need to cancel the trip at the last minute due to anything unforseen to do with the birth / newborn period.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 14-07-2016 at 11:32.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    No advice about the travelling that hasn't already been given. However as far as first day of school - it is VERY important. DS1 missed his because my ex failed to return him from a contact visit. He was devastated all the kids had chosen their desks and he was sitting off towards the back by himself. I also don't have a photo of his first day of school - which I'm still sad about over 15 years later!
    That is so sad!! Your poor son well I know he's a grown man now but that would break my heart too well you've definitely made up my mind about not missing the first day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went back to the UK when my bub was 4 weeks old. Until she was 9 weeks. It was pretty easy because she just fed and slept. Very portable. We were with family though so had help with our toddler.
    Thing is you don't know what your baby's temperament will be like and how you'll feel after the birth if there happen to be any complications. So it is a gamble....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travelling overseas with newborn