+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Weaning 12 month old from breastfeeding

My DD is 12.5 months old and has been exclusively breastfed. I'm getting kinda done with it. Every single feed has been done with a nipple shield since she was a week old. I'm so pleased I hung in there and got this far. Her eating isn't great, it's gotten a bit better since we found out she is severely anaemic and started iron about 2-3 months ago. I am hoping that reducing and eventually stopping breastfeeding will help her eating.
    She's currently feeding 3-5 times in a 24hr period. If she doesn't sleep through (which she isn't at the moment as she is perpetually sick from childcare) then she will usually feed between 4-6am (then go back to sleep til 7-8am) but otherwise not overnight.
    I have no idea how to wean. I have been putting off trying to drop a feed as I'm worried it will impact her sleeping. I guess I can just try it. I'd like to try soon as my DH is going interstate for 7 weeks and if it's difficult I'll need his help. She's not booby obsessed and never 'asks' to be fed I just offer when she wakes, before bed at night and 1-2 times during the day (once only on the 2 days she goes to childcare). A couple of weeks ago I had surgery and she went 16 hours without feeding with no tears. I can do this!
    I'd like to reduce over 2-3 months then cease.
    Sorry for the long winded post. My main question is do all babies need to wean onto cows milk? Do I have to replace her breastfeeding with drinks of cows milk? I'm not quite sure how it works. I have been giving her a bit of full fat cows milk in a straw cup the past few weeks to get her used to the taste. I'm not sure if it's required though and how much? Are there any other diet changes I need to make as she weans? Any other advice about how to do this? I know I'll feel sad when it's over but I think I'm ready 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Attached is a good resource to show you the sources of calcium you can use, neither my 2 (1yo & 3yo) drink much milk but get plenty of calcium from yoghurt, cheese, milk shakes, almonds, fruit, veg & eggs ect... There are heaps of things they get calcium from so don't stress if she's not drinking much milk :-)

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/nutrit...ed_calcium.pdf

As for weaning, just don't offer it, start with morning one & offer breakfast first & go from there?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't offer don't refuse to start with then see how you go
    Sorry was feeding DS; edited to add that you could start with don't offer don't refuse, offer lots of food/drinks to fill her tummy up and then when you really want to finish get someone else to settle her for you at the times she'd normally really want to feed. My DD weaned around 23mths and to get her off completely I went out 5nights in a row at bedtime (work, gym, friends etc).
    Weaning slowly can help with not needing to pump and it can slowly down regulate your supply
    Last edited by PinkPopsicle; 13-07-2016 at 21:19.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe also pick the feeds you are happy to drop first. Try maybe all day feeds and leave morning/night feeds. Then drop one (I dropped morning before night).

I honestly ended up fully weaning in 2-3 weeks which was quicker than I thought. My DS was obsessed, was 2.5yo and hard to wean.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If u have anaemia issues then formula seems obvious, it's supplemented with iron and other vit and minerals... And it's always 'fresh'

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisau77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    If u have anaemia issues then formula seems obvious, it's supplemented with iron and other vit and minerals... And it's always 'fresh'
    She doesn't need formula at this age - she's on prescribed iron supplementation for 6 months due to being premature.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the advice so today I fed her when she woke up then didn't offer all day til an hour before bed. So she only had 2 feeds. She didn't seem any different during the day, certainly wasn't looking for it or crying for it or clingy at all. She didn't even notice. She had about 100ml of cows milk across the day in addition to her meals/snacks/water. When I fed her tonight she only fed 4 minutes one side and 3 minutes the other but was pulling off and disinterested most of the time anyway, not desperate for it. I am wondering if the weaning journey might be shorter than the several months I was anticipating. I will miss the connection