+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I was in a share house I really liked and someone decided to have a baby I'd be really peeved off. Coming from a house mate perspective. It's not fair for them to have to deal with not only crying but the fact there's a child around that wasn't there when they first moved in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmInayah View Post
    If I was in a share house I really liked and someone decided to have a baby I'd be really peeved off. Coming from a house mate perspective. It's not fair for them to have to deal with not only crying but the fact there's a child around that wasn't there when they first moved in.
    Not disagreeing but the op is only going to start trying November 2016 and assuming it takes a couple of months won't have the baby til end 2017 and the lease is up for renewal January 2018. They'd have the baby for a couple of weeks max.

I wouldn't do it OP. Move now if you can before you start TTC. Moving with s newborn or when heavily pregnant isn't much fun.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there if you are not on the lease, or if you can give notice, and you can get out before you fall pregnant, that would be the best option i think. Set up your own place, even being pregnant can be difficult, and once baby arrives, no way a share house would work- for you or for the other tenants. Feeding on demand, either bottle or breastfed, can mean up every hour or 2, or even all night. Also, after birth, i would want to not have to share a bathroom for a while. Things like that. Thats just my experience.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (13-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is living in a sharehouse with a newborn plain crazy?

We were in between houses and lived with my in-laws (who are easy going btw) and it was HORRIBLE.

You're exhausted. Babies are up at all hours. You'll worry the baby is keeping other people up (I did).

Also, you are going to want privacy, especially if you plan to breastfeed. You won't want to be confined to your room all the time.

So short answer no. Never. Not in a million years. Get your own place. A small 2 bed apartment would be a better option.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (12-07-2016),turquoisecoast  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    From a practical perspective no I don't think it's a great idea from the mentioned reasons above, but also from a relationship perspective it was a really special time when our baby was born. DH and I were getting to know him and I would feel that having house mates would impede on that a bit. At least with guests they go home, but when I was bonding with my baby the last thing I wanted personally was having people around me constantly. With housemates and shared areas you'd be confined to your bedroom a lot I think. It's a pretty special and personal time so if there is no reason to share I think getting your own place set up would be a better idea.
    I forgot to mention this aspect too. even house guests would infringe on that special time. when I look back at those precious first weeks with ds, I'm so glad it was just dh, ds and I. house guests would've been bad but a housemate, I can't even fathom that. would be the pits.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (13-07-2016),Pearlygirl  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I could not think of anything worse. I suppose everyone has a different newborn experience but my milk came in the day after I arrived home from hospital and it hurt like hell. I spent a number of days with my boobs out on the couch or having 6 hot showers a day relive the pain. Then I was dealing with stitches (yes vagina stitches) which made it difficult to find a comfortable position to sit in. I was also an emotional roller coaster who cried for no apparent reason. Throw that in with a baby who fed every 2-3 hours and decided that 1 am was a great time to scream the place down. I think I spent the first month in my pjs. Having housemates would have given me a nervous breakdown.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (13-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your answers, it makes things much clearer, haha!
    Only my partner and I are on the lease,my housemates are not, so we'll talk to them and decide together wether we move out and they stay, or the opposite, depending on their plans.
    We clearly underestimated the amount a newborn is.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EliseLC For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't tell the housemates that you actually trying for a child until your actually pregnant and past the safety zone. As for house share, how big is the actual house. Our place is huge and sublet the apt downstairs to people and no one has ever had an issues with our DS and the new one coming home in a few days. The person there now actually loves the fact our place is not a frat house so to speak but family oriented. But the apt is quite seperated off and private and all we share is the laundry

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (13-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've done it.
    My recommendation... DO NOT DO IT!!

This was with my bestie too, so you would expect it would have been ok, but no. Bub was 4 months old when we all moved out and ended that lease, couldn't have come sooner.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (13-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup, plain crazy. You don't even notice you have your nipples out, a delivery guy copped an eyeful with me... So embarrassing! I was too tired to notice. Good luck though, exciting times,

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (13-07-2016)