+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Annoying little flappers ruining settling.

Hi, I have a 3 month old that has just started to roll, because of this we have had to do away with the swaddle as he is constantly flipping onto his side and almost his tummy while sleeping. Before this he was swaddled every bedtime and used a dummy to sleep (he actually hates the swaddle but it kept his arms under control), the issue I'm having is as follows; he goes through his 40min sleep cycle, if he doesn't settle himself (which is often) usually popping the dummy back in was enough to send him off again, but now his arms are free they are constantly at his face, they flick the dummy out, rub at his eyes until eventually he is wide eyed and yelling out for me, I try to leave him for a minute but it's no good, the enemy (his arms) have seized control and are thwarting my plans. So now I have to cuddle him to sleep just so his arms are off his face and place him back while he is limp. This is a sleep association I really don't want to be encouraging. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are stretchy sleeping bags which allow arm movement and some that then have press studs at arm holes to allow one arm out, then both to transition. We used those. So they can't actually hit themselves in the face. We used ergococoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did your little one try to roll over in bed and did you find having the one arm out was good enough for them to be able to correct themselves? I have a couple of sleeping bags that clip at the side so I could deff do that and a Velcro wrap I could probably use. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He will adjust to arms out and in the long run it will be better as he can use his hands to self soothe or find his own dummy. My DS is a flapper too and when he's having trouble settling I get the sheet and tuck it around his arm/shoulder and under him so it pins his arm to his side. I find just containing one is usually enough to calm the flappy rage!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdez View Post
    Did your little one try to roll over in bed and did you find having the one arm out was good enough for them to be able to correct themselves? I have a couple of sleeping bags that clip at the side so I could deff do that and a Velcro wrap I could probably use. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Yes my girls were easily able to correct themselves. But check SIDS recommendations. I didn't check at the time so i might not be correct.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I'm all over the sids info don't you worry!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Annoying little flappers ruining settling.

Like a pervious poster we used/use ergo cocoon. They are nice and stretchy (we have a 0.5tog one and a 2.5tog one) and even the thicker 2.5tog one still allows room to move arms around a little (and has the buttons/poppers at shoulders to allow one or both arms out).

We found they worked the best as DS2 likes rubbing his face but if his arms are out he'll wake him self up. If they are in the "cocoon" he can rub his face (and manages to get a finger out to suck on sometimes) and move them a little but not wave them around and wake himself up. If he rolls over onto belly, he still has room to move his arms to support himself.

(Ergo Pouch is the company name)
    Last edited by Bumblebeez00; 12-07-2016 at 21:43.