+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Choosing a Path and Staying On It

I picked a course of study last year (undergrad degree) and after much thought have reached the conclusion that it's probably not the path I should be on.

While it's disappointing, because I've passed my subjects I can transfer so all is not lost.

But I have no idea what to transfer to.

How did you choose your path?

Is anyone out there in a buoyant market for their profession who wouldn't mind telling me about it?

All suggestions heartily welcomed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, I started studying various things over the course of time, never completing more than the equivalent of 1 semester. Then I because extremely unwell mentally which sparked an interest in psychology. I started studying psychology at that point & overall have found it to be the degree I have been most engaged in & other than when unwell enough that I don't want to do anything, love studying & can't imagine doing anything else. The only problem with psychology is that if you want to be become a registered psychologist it is a long, competitive & difficult path to go down

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have until September to complete the subjects I'm currently doing (and hopefully pass) before I either have to pick another course or disenrol

Rather do this, though, than finish a course I'm not passionate about.

Just wondering how do people locate that passion? That job they want to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    For me, I started studying various things over the course of time, never completing more than the equivalent of 1 semester. Then I because extremely unwell mentally which sparked an interest in psychology. I started studying psychology at that point & overall have found it to be the degree I have been most engaged in & other than when unwell enough that I don't want to do anything, love studying & can't imagine doing anything else. The only problem with psychology is that if you want to be become a registered psychologist it is a long, competitive & difficult path to go down
    I've had similar experience with psychology. I did my degree 20 years ago and then went travelling and worked in jobs totally unrelated. Then I did a masters in psychology 10 years ago but never qualified as a psychologist and ended up in public health. I find psychology so interesting and I revisited the idea again a couple of years ago but I'd still have years more study to and more importantly I felt that it was too competitive an area at my age and with 3 kids. Now it's been more than 10 years I think I'd be starting from scratch now anyways.
    Op I totally know where you are coming from. I've not actually started any study but I explore so many ideas and get so far and realise it's not practical - too time consuming with kids or no job at the end etc. And sometimes I end back into study I ruled out! It's all so time consuming so many more factors than a young school leaver has to consider... Although in my case if I'd done proper research back then I might've been working as a psychologist all these years!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (13-07-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Choosing a Path and Staying On It

Oh gosh I've had so many false starts! I totally get it. My best advice with tertiary study would be to choose something that gives you some kind of placement/industry experience early on in the degree so you get a taste of the real world applications. I think that's the best shot to see if you like it.

Also, some TAFE qualifications (and probably Uni ones too) come with industry placement at the end of it, which is a good way into employment.

I think there's so much to balance - what you are passionate about and what you will enjoy/find work in aren't necessarily the same. But if you have skills that you are passionate about (as in your case, writing), then you might be able to find some careers that involve that skill even if it's not necessarily about something that you love? Don't know if that makes sense.

ETA work/life balance is huge too. For example, I love teaching, and could promote it for hours, but honestly it does come at a cost of time, especially near the beginning. There'd be other career paths like this as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (13-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had some false starts and now am adrift!

I did psychology straight out of school. Loved it. But DS1 was born towards the end of the first semester of my honours year and whilst I finished and finished it well. The cost of paying for supervision so I could practise meant it was never going to happen for me as a single mum.

I then did law. Again loved it. I have been in practice now for over 12 years. I am recently unemployed however and all the sacrifices I made to get the flexible position I needed to now have a young family (DS2 is almost 4, DS3 due next month) have been wasted. I would be starting at the bottom again at a new firm and in a new state. It's just not feasible with young children and DH's work unless we used FT daycare for both and I don't want that.

So I guess my point is that your path changes, your passion could be very real for something but life intervenes and passionate about something or not it may no longer work. To work out where to next for ME, these are some of the questions I've been asking:

What do I want from work? A career/profession or just a job?

What is the most important aspect? Money? Work/life balance? Contributing or giving back?

What am I passionate about now? Is it something that I can make money from?

What am I willing to invest in order to change my path? So money for a start up? Money for further/graduate study? Time? Energy?

I don't have any answers yet - I'm blaming that on baby brain. But the questions are always in the back of my mind.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (13-07-2016),Mrs Tickle  (13-07-2016),Renn  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Still don't know what I want to be when l grow up. Maybe this thread will help.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (13-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just recently decided to change my path after completing a bachelor's degree in 2011.
    I currently work in allied health, for a lovely company that allows me to work as many or as few hours as I like. Whilst I do enjoy my job, I always kind of knew it wasn't what I wanted to be doing forever. I had periods of doubt throughout my study and really had to push myself to find the motivation to complete my degree - so I know where you're coming from in that regard.
    Since working in allied health, I've discovered I'm really interested in medicine - I applied for entry this year, got in and deferred until next year.
    I think exposure to different occupations would be of benefit when deciding what to do, (although not always easy to find!), I never would have pictured myself as a doctor until I saw what it is they actually do.
    I agree that you need to pick something that works with your lifestyle but will say that if your interest isn't there, then it's not going to be very fulfilling. At least, this is what I've found in my career so far.
    Good luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JustUsTwo For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (13-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to study medicine.

Being a rural doctor has always been something I'd thought of doing but put it on the shelf because I always told myself I wasn't smart enough.
    Then I met the doctor I had with my first child and could have cried a river at my regret because she was so stupid it was frightening (example: didn't know how to put a speculum together...I showed her - (oh the things you learn off your GP!); nearly tore out a vein trying to cannulate me...got a nurse to take over; got my results mixed up with another patients and scheduled me for a termination...the list goes on unfortunately).

But too old now and just wouldn't fit the lifestyle with the kids.

I love the law but working in law firms killed that so won't be going near a law degree anytime soon.

Speaker of the House would be great. I be like 'shaddup'...bang my little hammer thing (do Speakers have them?) and they be like "But Madame Speaker!" and I be like "Shaddup.." bang my little hammer thing again. I'd love that. Christopher Pyne shut your piehole *bang* Sorry Mal, don't want to hear you today either *bang*

But you can't take helicopter flights anymore so bugger that. Another occupation off my list.

Thanks for the responses. Really giving me something to think about.