+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would not bother about the names. Grandparents names can evolve and change as the grandchildren grow older. I wanted to be grandma, and so dh became grandad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    So she started researching names online and came up with wai zu and gong gong (which apparently are Chinese but that's probably not even the correct spelling and I'm sure she wouldn't have been pronouncing them correctly). We aren't Chinese and I thought that sounded ridiculous and told her so!
    You have just made Popcorn seem completely acceptable...!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

besha  (12-07-2016),Frankenmum  (12-07-2016),HillDweller  (12-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (12-07-2016),TheGooch  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    You have just made Popcorn seem completely acceptable...!
    Haha happy to help I actually think nanny moo and popcorn are kind of cute!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol I think it's pretty stupid too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I completely feel annoyed for you. Those names are ridiculous. But like everyone else has said, it doesn't really matter in the end because the kids will call them whatever they want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Niki24 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    have not read the other responses but my answer is I agree with you that nanna moo and popcorn are the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while but, ultimately, it's their call.

I wanted mil to be referred to as grandma X (X being her first name) but she started calling herself nanna X instead. so we just roll with it.

obviously the difference between grandma and nanna is splitting hairs and popcorn is way out over the top embarrassing and stupid. but I do think it's their call.

if it bothers you that much maybe just ask them if they're really sure and say it might cause your LO embarrassment at school to have to refer to his grandparents as nanna moo and popcorn? would that angle work on them?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    have not read the other responses but my answer is I agree with you that nanna moo and popcorn are the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while but, ultimately, it's their call.

I wanted mil to be referred to as grandma X (X being her first name) but she started calling herself nanna X instead. so we just roll with it.

obviously the difference between grandma and nanna is splitting hairs and popcorn is way out over the top embarrassing and stupid. but I do think it's their call.

if it bothers you that much maybe just ask them if they're really sure and say it might cause your LO embarrassment at school to have to refer to his grandparents as nanna moo and popcorn? would that angle work on them?
    That's a good idea actually, I might just say it in a bit of a joking way and see how they take it. My mum is lovely but can get super hurt anytime she thinks I'm having a go at her, so I'll have to keep it light, or maybe just bring it up in front of dad instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister and I called our maternal grandpa "whippy" because his truck looked like a Mr Whippy truck, lol. It was mums idea. He kept telling us to call him granddad, but we never did. Even to this day he's still Whippy.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.