+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Out of all the issues grandparents can cause, this is tame and wouldn't even be on my radar. I wouldn't care as long as it wasn't crude or offensive. To me, it's sweet because it just shows they're excited.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, I would feel the same. Kinda irritated.

My parents threw around some ideas on alternative grandparent names and it gave me and my DH the pips. My parents felt like they were too young and hip to have traditional names (mind you, they were in their late 50's when DS was born ). My dad suggested Bobo at one stage and I just politely expressed that I didn't fancy it.

They ended up being happy simply being called Nanny & Poppy. I think they realised they were being a bit precious without me having to really address it as an issue.

I would just keep calling them Nan & Pop, which are shortenings of their made-up weird names anyway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I was having DD1 my MIL wanted her and FIL to be called nanny & poppy and my mum and her hubby to be called nanny & poppy ( with their first names at the end). Mum and I were cracking up! In the end my children decided what to call them which was just nanny and poppy but as they've gotten older it's changing to nan and pop for my side and Tom & Jerry for the in laws (yes tom & Jerry like the cartoon, my girls think it's hilarious as they don't particularly like their grandparents).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Choosing what to call 'Grandpa' and should I just mind my own business?

I think it's fine and wouldn't bother me. You can always just call them nan and pop when you're referring to them. They might change their minds anyway, so I'd just play along with it.

But I've heard so many different names for grandparents anything other than the traditional nan and pop and granny and grandad don't faze me in the slightest! I've heard meme (may-mee), bampi, grumps, papa smurf, nanjan, bibi, granpog... I think it's nice having a unique and endearing name. But it seems like I'm in the minority on here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Getting a good laugh out of this thread

My mum was picky about what she wanted to be called (her first grandchild was my niece who is now 20). My sister's ex husband's parents were already grandparents and were Nan and Pop so mum didn't want to 'steal' those. At the time her own mother (my nan) was also still alive so that was another 'nan' on the scene. Bottom line was my mum was fussy and didn't want to be Grandma, Granny or any of the like. So she came up with Nanjan (jan is a derivative of her Christian name). My sister just rolls with whatever so went with it. When my niece started talking she switched it around and called her Jannan, which we actually all prefer. So Jannan it is. My Dad wasn't picky. He was happy to be Grandpa. My nieces and nephew called him this but DS shortened it to Pa by himself.

My dear Grandma was always called 'Ging'. It was my cousin's attempt at saying Grandma and it stuck. It suited her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    OP I understand why this annoys you. Before I had my kids and whilst pregnant the first time I used to get annoyed by all these sorts of things. Not fly off the handle angry but small things suggested by my parents and in laws that just rubbed me the wrong way.

As a PP poster said, I've learnt that in the scheme of things there are so many worse/ serious things grandparents can do to that'll really tick you off so I'd let this go and just roll with it. If you start battles now they won't take you seriously later if/ when you have real things to put your foot down about.

Yes the names are a bit silly but you can just refer to them as Nan and Pop and chances are the kids will follow your lead or come up with something themselves. And it's also good to remember it's nice that your baby has grandparents that are excited. So many kids don't have that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I Totally get the irrational irritation over this, I too have to blame hormones on snapping at things that sound utterly ridiculous to me, but in all honesty, it's no real big deal, and if it makes them happy does it really matter? You will probably feel a pang of annoyance every time you hear the LO say it but that will most likely wash away when you see them loving each other in that way only grandparents and grandkids can. Xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tdez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cute names I must admit. I just let me DS come out with what ever he wanted. So they got mumma and papa and my niece calls me grandma and papa.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum didn't want to be grandma or nanna either, she said she didn't feel old enough to be one of those! Though I suspect it may also be her not wanting to be the same as her mum (who is grandma - and still alive), or her mil (who was nanna). And she didn't want anything that sounded like those two either - so nonna and gran/granny were out too. I think my dad would have been happy to be pop but was also happy to go along with her! So she started researching names online and came up with wai zu and gong gong (which apparently are Chinese but that's probably not even the correct spelling and I'm sure she wouldn't have been pronouncing them correctly). We aren't Chinese and I thought that sounded ridiculous and told her so! I would never have gone along with those names. She eventually changed her mind and now she is Lola and my dad is Pepe. So Filipino and French. We aren't of those nationalities either but at least they are easy to say/spell :P DH still refers to them as grandma and grandad though so it will be interesting to see what they end up as once DD can talk!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think popcorn is cute! I wouldn't mind. When we had our dd I asked grandparents what they would like to be called. My parents chose grandma and grandpa and MIL chose Nanny. What I am not ok with is my mum wanting to call dd Flossy 'dislike'