+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Choosing what to call 'Grandpa' and should I just mind my own business?

Really I think it's very minor!

Be happy that your child/ ren will have grandparents who love them not every child has that. It's just a name and I'm sure over the years it will change.
    Last edited by Louise41; 12-07-2016 at 11:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah you'll find it will change as the kids develop their relationship with their grandparents and they learn to talk. My dad wants to be known as Grandad Tony. Yes his name too, my FIL wanted to be Pop but has become Poppy as my girl has started talking. I don't know why he wants Tony on the end there but he does sign off on her cards as G.D.T. Lol and now that bubs is here and her own little person I can actually laugh at his choice. (Trust me at the time of his announcement I was not laughing!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsmac3 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Choosing what to call 'Grandpa' and should I just mind my own business?

Definition of nickname from the Oxford dictionary

"A familiar or humorous name GIVEN to a person or thing instead of or as well as the real name"

You can't pick your own nickname. You can try and influence what others call you but ultimately it is something others bestow on you.

I think you'll find it a non-issue. I honestly can't see Nanny-moo or Popcorn taking off (and as a parent I would just be referring to them to my kids as nan and pop) but good luck to them. As off putting as I find it.

Eta: I do kind of like the idea of it becoming "moo and the poo" lol
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 12-07-2016 at 08:05.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When my sister was pregnant my mum was coming up with the most annoying suggestions that both my sister and I vetoed because they were just silly! She wanted Yaya, Mimi or something else. Then she settled on Grammy. So she's Grammy and my dad is Grandad. My nephew calls them this as well. He's not shortened them at all. It's quite cute really because grandad is his most favourite person in the world so he says it with such authority haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My paternal grandmother was to be called "nana". She ended up as "banana" because that's how my brother said it. Almost 40 years later we still affectionately call her Banana. You get stuck with whatever name the kids give! So they can insist on being nanny-moo and popcorn all they like, but the kids will come up with their own versions!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    "Let's go to moo and the poo's house!" There's even emojis! Makes texting about them quicker!
    🐄💩
    (Sorry I'm tired and a bit silly)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (12-07-2016),HillDweller  (12-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (12-07-2016),TheGooch  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think those names, whilst cute if a kid came up with them, are a bit silly coming from an adult...I don't agree with grandparents getting free rein in deciding what their grandkids call them. MIL wanted "Mimi"...she got "Grandma" as neither DH or I could stomach "Mimi".
    Just smile & refer to them as Nanny & Pop.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum tried on the same. Musing about what she would be called as a grandma. The thing is, I'm the one referring to her the most ("Grandma called, Grandma wrote a letter... Grandma's coming to visit" and so on) so really isn't it up to me/us what we say at those times? I really can't see myself calling my mum "Nanny-moo" in all of those situations. "Nanny-moo is coming to visit" makes me feel slightly deranged, or about 2 years old myself.
    I guess I'd let them go that way with the kids, and go with just the standard Nan & Pop whenever I'm talking about them myself.
    It's true, the kids will decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HollyGolightly81 and @littlemissSundhine I am cracking up the emojis almost had my cup of tea coming out my nose

The funny thing is, they've always referred to themselves as Nanny and Poppy to all our animals! So I'll just continue to call them Nanny and Poppy as they called themselves when bub arrives. If they want to risk being shortened to Moo or mistaken for food, that'll be their choice . But you're all right, it probably won't matter what they, or any of us, say, their grandchild will decide what they're going to be called on their own anyway. They are absolutely over the moon about having a grandchild. My only brother isn't able to have children with his wife and it looked for a long time like we wouldn't be able to either, so I think they'll be so smitten they won't care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    "Nanny-moo is coming to visit" makes me feel slightly deranged, or about 2 years old myself.
    Me too. And when we make popcorn to eat in front of a movie.....? the questions! Lol

Over the last few weeks I've had my FIL suggest (in all seriousness) that we name our daughter Peaches and my own dad decide he'd like to be called Popcorn. Next DH is going to announce he's changing his name to Steak or something. I did make an Alice in Wonderland garden in my backyard.....maybe I've fallen down the rabbit hole and not realised...