+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Choosing what to call 'Grandpa' and should I just mind my own business?

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    My mum wanted to be "Nana" but my first niece had other ideas when she started talking and she became "nanny", and she's now that to her 4 grandkids. So maybe your little one will decide anyway!
    This My Dad was going to be grandad but my niece started calling him oye oye when she started talking now he is that to all 4 grandkids.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MyDino For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (11-07-2016),JR03  (11-07-2016),MINIRoo  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mmm...leave them to it. You can still refer to them as the shortened version when talking to your child (Pop and Nanny). I think it's pretty cute and kids often end up calling people lots if random names in toddlerhood and when they're older chose something generic to save embarrassment. My DS calls my dad Oupa at home but "Pop" at school/with friends as he doesn't like explaining "Oupa" to his friends. I really wouldn't worry to much....let them enjoy their relationship with your kids and be called whatever.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not sure grandparents have a right to decide what to be called, especially if their choice is effing ridiculous or completely irritating to the parents. Or inappropriate. Whatever.
    Let them write that on cards etc but when your mum refers to your dad as popcorn you can just correct it to "pop" in front of your child.
    Having said that, kids have a weird way of deciding what they will call people. I wouldn't be surprised if neither popcorn or pop win!

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

FarmMumma  (30-10-2016),Izzys Dragon  (12-07-2016),KitiK  (12-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-07-2016),LittleBug'sMum  (12-07-2016),Mod-Degrassi  (12-07-2016),PinkPopsicle  (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    Nanny-Moo and Popcorn?
    OMG.
    I love these names!!!
    My Mum's a right cow most of the time so that name would suit her PERFECTLY.
    Call her 'Moo for short. Ideal.
    And Dad...well he's forever jumping around like a brown bag in a microwave so I'm so stealing these names and will indoctrinate the children accordingly.

Thankyousomuch
    LOL! You just gave me the best laugh I've had all day so thank YOU

Thanks guys, I suspected that although I find it odd I should probably not get too stressed about it. I'll just leave them to it and let them choose their own 'names'.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Honestly after a while you won't even notice anymore.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (11-07-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Hahaha it seems rather silly of them to me. In the end, when your toddler is learning to speak it is going to be much easier for them to say the shortened version (ie. Pop, Nan, Nanny). And you can call them what you like at home (ie. "We're going to Nanny and Pop's today" ).

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (11-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (12-07-2016),SuperGranny  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree it's annoying. But also cute. They're obviously excited about the bub that's due and this kind of thing shows that. :-) So I'd let it go and not spoil their excitement. The names may stick or they may not. :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Weird! Hmm can you abbreviate to nan and pop

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Hahaha it seems rather silly of them to me. In the end, when your toddler is learning to speak it is going to be much easier for them to say the shortened version (ie. Pop, Nan, Nanny). And you can call them what you like at home (ie. "We're going to Nanny and Pop's today" ).
    I was thinking that too

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just smile and nod at this stage. Im not a fan of either name but really they are pretty tame.
    Normally the first grandchild picks the grandparents name.
    My parents were already nanny and poppy from my niece
    But my mil and fil wanted dd to call them ma ma and pa. I told her no way because I am the mum and it was too similar.
    She kept trying to push the name but dd (with help from me) called her grandma and the name stuck.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post: