+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default kitchen aid stand mixer

have wanted one for ages and am thinking its time I took the plunge. only thing is - I noticed there's a few different models. which is the best? any particular one to avoid? regale me with your love of kitchen aid stand mixers please.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have the KSM150, so one of basic models. To be honest I rarely use it. It is very big so takes up too much bench space to leave out. It is also crazy heavy so I don't tend to get it out of the cupboard either.

When I do use it, it is wonderful. Very powerful so you have to be careful not to overbeat the batter. So if you have the bench space to leave it out - you will probably use it quite often.

Are you near a Costco? They stock the KPM50 which is one of the bigger models, for quite a bit cheaper than the majors.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have the basic one and it is fine. So much better than my ancient Kenwood.

From what I can make out, the difference between the basic KSM150 and the next model up KSM 156 is the glass bowl and different colours. The saleslady in Myer anyway told me the motor was the same.

The one that Costco sell is a more powerful machine. I find the basic model is fine for everything I use it for. It can struggle slightly when I make pizza dough with 5 cups of flour. I would suggest that it's limit is around there so if you are planning on making big batches on a regular basis go the next model up.

Whatever model you get, I strongly recommend you get a scraper edge beater, the "K" beater that comes standard isn't that great. The scraper edge beater means less scraping down of the bowl when creaming butter and sugar. I got a small bowl free when I bought mine and I have found it fantastic when I'm making something with lots of fiddly bits and layers eg cheesecake because it means I have two bowls that fit in the mixer and means I don't need to transfer stuff to another bowl.

ETA here is a link to the flex edge beater I was talking about:
    http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/...option-d-11386

Small bowl:
    http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/...option-d-11385
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 11-07-2016 at 10:19.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd love a Kitchen Aid ***sigh*** My mum got one just recently.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a Kitchenaid Artisan mixer for Christmas in 2011. I love it, though I think I would use it more if I had the bench space to keep it on the bench instead of in the cupboard. I do use it for all my baking though and pp is right, the flex edge beater is great. I got one as part of a promotion that was going when DH bought the mixer for me.
    I only have one bowl but I've always wanted a second one! The ones with the glass bowls do look amazing but I think the glass would make me nervous so I'm happy with the metal bowl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the KSM150. This is the base model and more than adequate. I agree about getting the second small bowl. I also love the ice cream and pasta attachments. I use mine at least once a week for bread doughs, baking, pasta.

I agree it's heavy, mine lives on the bench so it isn't an issue. My SIL has a cool cupboard the hers lives in that lifts the mixer up when you open it. This is a great option if bench space is an issue.