+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you store your cereal?

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    If you're throwing out a lot....it's not exactly more economical to buy in bulk, is it? You may as well pay more for a smaller quantity that you can actually get through in a reasonable time. Throwing away stale cereal is an indicator that you're buying too much.

We store ours in Sistema containers and rarely throw out any (pretty much never), but then we're a Brady bunch with 5 kids (4 boys & 1 girl), so they are a hungry bunch. Mice are a fact of life here on the farm so we have to put most things in containers.
    It's just so frustrating that they will have a big box of cereal half price for like $3.50, or I can spend $4 on a smaller box that better suits our needs. The tightarse in me just struggles to let me do that.

And don't get me started on bulk buys/multi buys.... I think it contributes to the disgusting amount of food wastage. (Eta: which I am also very guilty of)
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 11-07-2016 at 09:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Say what?!? You store it in the fridge?!? Interesting.
    Lol everything went in the fridge in FNQ - humidity, ants etc.... resulted in food going off very quickly. It's a habit I just have not broken despite almost 18 months down here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Everything in our pantry is in large sistema containers grouped by type of food lol. So the cereal is in the breakfast container along with porridge sachets etc, and it is also closed with one of those bag clips someone else put up a pic of.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to shop for ages to find extra large cereal containers to hold a big box full. Why they don't have zip lock internal bags in the boxes I'll never know?!?! Maybe you could buy a packet of extra large zip locks?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsIsMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We usually have about 4 or 5 boxes on the kitchen bench but we only take a few days at the most to go through them (with each kid eating a different one, hence why we have that many out) for the big ones. Only one or two days for the smaller boxes. So I don't do anything. I just leave them there with the top of the bag half heartedly rolled up inside the box. We have a big bookshelf in our sunroom that's filled with the unopened boxes so I am always cycling new boxes throug.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the cereal tupperware containers. We have 3 cereals to choose from at breaky time

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use those clips as well on the bags. Kmart and Ikea sell them (and probably plenty of other places). Stays fresh for months (at least, in Adelaide it does).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use the 4.2l Sistema cereal container and once in a blue moon I will have to throw out cereal for being stale and it's only because the kids don't shut the lid properly and I'll have forgotten to check. Love them - the kids can see what's what and they sit nicely in the pantry

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    It's just so frustrating that they will have a big box of cereal half price for like $3.50, or I can spend $4 on a smaller box that better suits our needs. The tightarse in me just struggles to let me do that.

And don't get me started on bulk buys/multi buys.... I think it contributes to the disgusting amount of food wastage. (Eta: which I am also very guilty of)
    Yeah I can understand the psychological part, but it's kind of illogical to buy more than you need just because it's on sale, only to throw a heap of it out. Better to pay a bit more per kg and have fresh cereal. Just my view, anyway.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use the large square Tupperware modular mates for cereal

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post: