+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do I lodge a tax return?

This is my first time as a single parent on centrelink at tax time. I receive the single parent payment and child support and earnt a small amount (maybe $3000) for the year. What do i do about tax this year? Are centrelink payments or child support classed as income? Do i receive a statement? Confused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some centrelink payments are. And i think earning that little you would be under the threshold. Have you got your payment summary yet? If so and you have a my gov account go over there and go to lodge return. Its just all prefilled for you including all yoir centrelink benefits and they list which ones are and are not taxable. Its super easy I did mine this afternoon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How does the payment summary arrive? I have one for the small amount i earnt but haven't received anything from centrelink. ..will this arrive through email on centrelink app?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You generate your own summary through the app...its under statements...they don't send them our anymore. SPP is taxable but if you haven't paid tax on that $3000 then yoi need to go online and state that you don't nees to lodge a tax return. But like other pp said...do it through my gov as it's all pre-filled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    How does the payment summary arrive? I have one for the small amount i earnt but haven't received anything from centrelink. ..will this arrive through email on centrelink app?
    Yep if you go to my gov and start your online tax its all prefilled on there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Yes

Hi, have just been reading older threads and saw this one! I recommend you lodge a tax return, even though you've earnt small amounts, some tax may have been withheld and if you earnt less than the threshold ($18,500) then you would get this back as a return.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks loolu. I ended up doing one because i still couldn't work out where i fit and you're right, i will get a small amount back. Thanks!