+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    In the vaporiser?
    Yep.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

ilex  (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Another thing to try is a nasal spray, even something like fess, to help moisten the airways. Usually if my DS has a persistent cough it helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's good she's not worse though. Maybe try lowering the heat to 20-21 and everything else you were doing too. Can you maybe take a few days off work/daycare to break the cycle?
    My DS is bub #3 for me and honestly the first 6-12 mths in daycare is the worst. It settles down a bit after that. My DD (3.5yrs) and DS (7yrs) hardly ever have time off school/Dcare now. I hate my #3 being sick but I think I've forgotten he needs.to build up his immunity

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubintummy View Post
    Another thing to try is a nasal spray, even something like fess, to help moisten the airways. Usually if my DS has a persistent cough it helps!
    Good point I have flo baby nasal spray hadn't thought of it to moisten airways in general!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Night time coughing is just the worst - so upsetting to see your kids keep getting woken up by their own coughing.
    There are two over the counter things that have worked for us with our two boys aged 5 and 2 if the nurofen/panadol don't work and its a night time cough. Claratyne was recommended to me by our GP as it can dry up any post nasal drip that is causing the tickle cough to start in the first place. DS1 has bronchiolitis and croup over and over again until he was nearly 3yo, and we worked through all the preventers and ventolin etc plus prenisolone as required. But the Claraytne did help without fail at other times when he had the dry cough without other symptoms of illness. Of course you would run this by your Dr as your bub is so young still, and I don't think you want to dry them up if they have a chesty cough as they need to cough the muck out. The other thing we use is Prospan cough mixture for kids - this is a real success for mr 5yo who still wakes up coughing away some nights - one dose and he's happily back off to sleep. Not sure if can use under 12 months tho.
    I also agree with humidifier/vaporiser and fess spray especially if they are blocked up as well.
    Best wishes for a resolution.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    @gingermillie - How is your house heated? I'm starting to suspect our forced hot air may play a role in DS's dry cough. We keep the heat pretty low at night (he's in an Ergo sleep suit) but the heat does kick on occasionally and it can be very drying.

I pulled the humidifier back out tonight (DH put it away after his cold cleared up) to see if it makes a difference.
    We have a small convection heater in her room that is connected to a heatermate thermostat and set to 20 overnight. When the heater kicks on it creeps up to about 23 then falls back down and kicks in again when it gets down to just under 20 so the range is 19-23. She sleeps in a bonds wondersuit and ergo sleeping bag. I have the ultrasonic vaporizer on permanently to bring some moisture in for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    That's good she's not worse though. Maybe try lowering the heat to 20-21 and everything else you were doing too. Can you maybe take a few days off work/daycare to break the cycle?
    My DS is bub #3 for me and honestly the first 6-12 mths in daycare is the worst. It settles down a bit after that. My DD (3.5yrs) and DS (7yrs) hardly ever have time off school/Dcare now. I hate my #3 being sick but I think I've forgotten he needs.to build up his immunity
    It's set to 20 overnight but does fluctuate up to 23 or so when the heater clicks on (connected to a thermostat).
    I'm hoping that this winter will resolve things. She's had so much time off childcare and by virtue me off work too. She has been going since February Tuesday and Friday mornings from 10-2 and she would be averaging 2-3 days off per month at the moment. Which is a lot considering she is only meant to go 8 days!! As soon as she goes back she's sick again. She's in a baby house with 11 other babies oldest being 18 months and she's the youngest at 12 months. I think their hygiene is fine it's just unavoidable. I'm keeping her home tomorrow as she has a nose full of green snot and I feel like crap so I'm not going to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a clear chest is not always an indicator that nothing else is wrong. My DD2 has never had a wheeze but regularly got a severe croup type cough. Every time she would need rediprep to clear it. She was finally diagnosed with asthma at 2 1/2 and has never had an audible chest wheeze.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A separated topic. Thanks to your suggestion @gingermillie. I also got the heatermate in DS room now. We have a oil column heater and it is set to 19C to keep the room at 18C. DS is dressed 2 layers (wondersuit + sweater pant and top) and ergo sleep bag. Unfortunately, we couldn't cover his hands because that's for the dummy! Poor bubba with cold hands. He sometime puts the comforter over his face if gets too cold. I wonder if it is the coincidence. Ever since we bought the heater + heatermate, DS has been sleeping quite well.

Oh ya, Prospan is ivy extract. DS hates the taste! With vaporizer, few drops of eucalyptus oil helps. I also use vicks baby rub (adult version isn't safe for babies).

I have the same thought just last week about daycare. DS has been sick since April. He goes to daycare 3x a week. Just the lasst 2 weeks, he missed 3 days (half of it!). I had to take leave......i can't imagine sending him there full time because i would most likely end up taking more work leave than actually sending him there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To those who mentioned asthma, does the puffer work straight away? We don't know if DS has asthma or not (dad has). His wheeze still comes and goes despite using the puffer. Well, we have a hard time giving it to him but i would assume it will work straight away if it is asthma?