+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby coughing constantly - any magic tips?

My DD (just 12 months) has another cold it has been non-stop the past three months. This one has given her a constant cough. When I say constant i put her to bed an hour ago and she's already woken coughing 4 times 😁 long night ahead last night was the same.
    I have a vaporizer running, her room is heated to 23 degrees. I gave her Panadol and nurofen before bed to help with general misery and any pain. I can't think of anything else to do to help settle her coughing? Any magic tips or just a matter of riding it out. Again.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it's a phlemmy cough, can you prop up the head end of the bed a bit? Against SIDS recommendations, but it really helps our bub when he has a cold. Vicks or Eukybear on the chest too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    If it's a phlemmy cough, can you prop up the head end of the bed a bit? Against SIDS recommendations, but it really helps our bub when he has a cold. Vicks or Eukybear on the chest too.
    It's a really dry cough. No phlegm at all yet. I have tried slightly elevating her mattress in one of her previous colds when her nasal congestion was terrible but didn't think of it for the cough so I can try that. Since I wrote this post about 20 minutes ago she's had another 2-3 coughing fits

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is the same at the moment and me too. I'm taking a dry cough mixture with pholcodine in it, hoping a little will go through my milk to help DS. I heat his room to about 21 though. Could you ring the nurse/dr line to see if you can try anything else?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    My DS is the same at the moment and me too. I'm taking a dry cough mixture with pholcodine in it, hoping a little will go through my milk to help DS. I heat his room to about 21 though. Could you ring the nurse/dr line to see if you can try anything else?
    Good point I have the cold too no cough yet but I could try some cough medicine.
    I'm wondering if it might be a bit asthma-type so might take her to dr tomorrow (or tonight if it gets out of control).
    My sympathies to you how awful is it being sick as a mumma plus having sick baby. It's the pits!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 11 months and had had a dry cough for the last month and a half. Like you we've got the vaporiser going most of the time, but keen to hear what's worked for others.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    It's a really dry cough. No phlegm at all yet. I have tried slightly elevating her mattress in one of her previous colds when her nasal congestion was terrible but didn't think of it for the cough so I can try that. Since I wrote this post about 20 minutes ago she's had another 2-3 coughing fits
    You poor thing, and your poor bubba.

I second what PP said about calling Health Direct or similar in your state, and seeing if they have any suggestions.

Would little sips of water help? Maybe something thick (I'm reluctant to suggest honey, but maybe something smooth and thick like that) might help an irritated throat.

Hope you get some good sleep tonight.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A lot of people over here in the uk swear by rubbing vapor rub on her feet and then putting socks on. I haven't tried it yet but it's always the most recommended tip on my local FB group. I find some euky bear rub on his chest plus books under the feet of his cot to prop it up helps.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recomend getting her checked out. Ds1 had bronchilitis when he was 8 weeks old and was hospitilised for over a week and ds2 has asthma with his irritable cough, only gets asthma when he has a cold with the cough. I'm pretty onto it so didn't hesitate taking ds3 to ED when he developed the same cough as ds2 a few days ago and he was at the dr earlier in the week with croup/bronchitis and has been on prednisolone since then. Sure enough my suspisions were right, ds3 was on a neb and is having ventolin for his wheeze. We are on day 7 now and hoping we are nearing the end of these sleepness nights.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-07-2016),VicPark  (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When our bub has been prescribed Prednisilone in the past, it has made *such* a difference. Don't think there's nothing that Drs can't do for you bub. Good luck, and sending strength.. and sleep.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post: