+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How old were your kids when you started giving them $?

This is a spin off from another topic about what your kids spend money on.. (Even though it's suspected that topic was started by a marketing/research troll)..

DS1 is going to start school next year (kindy in NSW) and I've never given a thought to pocket money or spending money.

What is the standard practice? I actually really dislike the idea of giving him money but maybe that's because he's only just about to turn 5..? I know eventually he will need pocket money and its part of learning about the world..

How much do you give and from what age and are there any rules that you have about what it can be spent on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We give pocket money to our 5 and 3 year olds.
    Mr 5 gets $5.00. He likes to save his to buy something special. We have a rule that if he saves half (or close to) the value of what is he wants we will pay the remaining amount. He usually saves for Lego or Pixels.
    Miss 3 gets $3.00 and she pops it all in her money box.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 6 and gets money for the canteen. Friday's he gets a lunch order and during the week I might give him $2 or $3 for the canteen. It's not a set amount mainly I use it as a form of bribery which works well.
    I also have DD 13 who is a money pit. Again bribery is a key parenting tool.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started pocket money when my dd turned 5, her & 3yo both get $1 per week. They have to complete their chores 'without complaining or arguing' &tick them off a chart each week. If they dont do all their things correctly, I talk about the chart with them the day before pocket money day &they can do some 'make up' jobs & still get pocket money. I'm in two minds about giving pocket monry for doing regular jobs around the house, in some ways I think they should know to do it anyway without monetary reward, because helping out is just a part of being in a family. But I do find it a great motivator.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    bribery is a key parenting tool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't start giving regular pocket money til my DS was 8 and DD 10. Obviously I gave them money if they wanted it occasionally and they usually had birthday /Xmas money.
    The turning point was when they wanted to buy things that were "extra" (like Nikes instead of cheaper sneakers).
    They don't have set chores but have to help out as part of the family when asked, without complaint.
    My DS doesn't get pocket money yet...He'd just waste it on junk...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd (6) has just started asking for pocket money. I think children are able to understand that there are some jobs around the house you just have to do as part of family life and some jobs can earn money for working hard.
    Atm dd can earn $3 to fill the wheelie bin with leaves. Havent thought of any other jobs to earn money. I did offer her $5 to change ds's dirty nappy but she wasnt keen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only just started giving pocket money this year, boys are 6 and 8. They have two basic jobs clean their bedrooms and one cleans the lounge room and the other the games room. But to get pocket money they have to do one "big" job. Normally weeding or clean the car out. They aren't to thrilled on actually doing the chores though so hardly ever get paid haha they get 5 dollars each.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelicHobgoblin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think we started after DS's 6th birthday. He gets $2 a week for doing jobs - feeds the dog, opens the chicken house in the morning and locks them up at night, helps DH with the rubbish (we are rural so have to take it to the tip ourselves), packs up toys and unloads the dishwasher. He mostly saves it, but has bought a few toys with it, or I've gone halves with him.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I no longer do pocket money as DS is part of the family and helps create the mess so he can help clean. He gets tuckshop weekly plus other odds and ends when needed or even wanted.

Occasionally if money has been sitting in a particular spot for a week or so he will ask if he can have it and I usually say yes. He gets money for christmas, easter and birthday which he saves unless he usually wants something I don't want to buy him.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post: