+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Stinky farts?

Is it normal for a 3 year old to have farts that can clear a room?? Like, seriously nostril burning, eye watering, gag inducing, lingering farts?

He poops regularly and doesn't have any issues with constipation. His diet could be better, he's pretty fussy, but gets lots of fibre. He takes probiotics every day.

But these farts are just out of control!

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know too much about this, but the idea is that farts are fermentation in the gut, and that food tends to stay and ferment (rot) instead of being digested if it's harder to digest. So they pass it through eventually, but the presence of gas indicates that they are eating something a bit harder for them to pass through.

My 5 year gets stinky sometimes too, I haven't been too worried about it to track really why, but I think in her case it might be cow's milk/dairy?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The only time DS ever does stinky ones is if he's had processed meats - bacon, ham or sausage - we don't eat these at home so it's usually if we were at a party or he eats ham sandwiches at my SIL house - does he eat much of these?
    processed foods are really hard to digest as they have certain acids and chemicals that wreck havoc on our digestive system - I know dairy can cause this as well if you are lactose intolerant so maybe get him checked for that as well

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my 4m old ds is the same. his feet stink too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankfully he's not dairy intolerant. But unfortunately due to being a very fussy eater he does tend to eat quite a few processed foods and meats.

I feel so terrible about his diet Partly it's from food aversions he developed after getting really bad bouts of gastro 4 times in 6 months... and partly it's because of 2 tired and overworked parents who didn't want the fight some nights and so lacked consistency. But we've decided to wait until our next bub (due sept) starts solids to really focus on DS's diet. We've just moved house, we're living without a kitchen at the moment while we renovate, then new bub will come along. So we didn't want to try to enforce a diet change on him with so much other change going on. We figure if new bub is eating all sorts of foods it may be easier to encourage DS to try new things too.

Hopefully that will help with the stinky bottom!! Its really so pungent at the moment! 😝

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    People with Gluten intolerance and coeliacs can produce really really stinky wind.

Would you consider cutting gluten out of his diet to see if there's an improvement?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    People with Gluten intolerance and coeliacs can produce really really stinky wind.

Would you consider cutting gluten out of his diet to see if there's an improvement?
    Gluten is pretty much the staple of his diet 😳 Bread & crackers...

He doesn't complain of tummy pains though, so I think he's ok with gluten...?