+ Reply to Thread
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Employer made an error on PAYG summary

Hoping those with decent understanding of tax can offer some advice.

I have just been notified that my last two years PAYG summaries were incorrect.

Work uses a salary packaging company to administer out salary packaging.

But as well as salary packaging, I get a full personal use work vehicle.

Apparently the finance department should have added the value of the car to my fringe benefits info provided by the salary packaging company to get an overall fbt figure. Last two years, for some reason, they didn't do that. Yet did in previous years?!?!?

From what they've told me, it won't make a difference to tax payable, but if I received any ftb or ccb or ccr it will impact.

I'm annoyed because I didn't claim any ftb or ccb but got credited back some after doing my tax. It was only a small amount, a few hundred dollars.

How does the tax office view this?

If work reissues payment summaries for those two years, do I need to resubmit tax returns for those years?

Does the tax office care whose fault it is? Is it a case of, if I didn't know, no problem, but now I do know, I'm obliged to correct it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Annoying as it is - it'll most likely be a case of "now you know about it you pay/fix it". I would assume you would need to resubmit your tax - best to talk to a tax accountant for the right advise.

Someone I know had similar thing - their work didn't deduct their hecs for a while - they didn't realise & then got slugged at tax time because of it. Even though their work stuffed it up. ATO didn't care how or who made the error, only that they got paid back.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (10-07-2016),TheGooch  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you might have to lodge an amendment.
    I've had to do it before when my employer (second job) didn't send my summary until September one year, I forgot about it & had already lodged my tax return by then.
    Maybe best to talk to a tax accountant to make sure it all gets sorted in 1 go? I remember it being very confusing to do myself!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I'd say you need to lodge an amendment, and that if you don't they will pick it up at some point and amend it anyway so prob best to do it yourself. That sucks! We've been slugged with the not deducting enough hecs before and had a big debt. We had a few months to repay.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks girls. That's what I thought would happen. Apparently in other NFP they don't include it as they argue that vehicles are shared. It will work out that way for some of the staff because others regularly use their vehicles. But I can't remember the last time someone used mine. So I couldn't legitimately claim that.
    It just annoys me because last year when I got the money I didn't need it, this year I do! Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you use the car purely for work purposes or are you allowed to take it home at night?
    I have a car permanently assigned to me but it doesn't get taken into account on tax because I only use it for work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mine comes home with me and I have unlimited personal use. I have it on leave unless it's extended unpaid leave

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this advice is overdue now, but I suggest you get the return amended rather than wait for ATO to pick up the discrepancy and amend. Reason being that you may be charged interest on overpayment, so the sooner you amend, the better for you. Having said that, check with your accountant to see if they charge for amendments (they really shouldn't, as it's literally clicking 2 buttons to amend). If they do charge, then call ATO and see if they can force an amendment on their end quickly for you.

What a pain in the butt though! I also recommend for future years, check your payment summary and see if anything is missing, and if it is, question it. Your accountant should have asked you as well if you had a RFB if they could see it was on your payment summary in previous years but not this year, while you didn't claim any motor vehicle expenses. Lazy accounting work in my opinion.