+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our trampoline was a solid orange one, not the black mesh type ones today.

Anyway, someone would sit in the middle of the tramp holding a running hose until it had filled up enough to make a pool that touched the ground.

We then jumped off the second story verandah into the `pool'.

All the kids in the neighborhood spend every afternoon roaming the `rifle range' which was a couple of blocks of bushland which is now a house development. We never came to harm and always had lots of fun building cubbies and exploring.

I actually feel sad my kids won't have that childhood. Aside from the fact that there is no vacant bushland anymore, there are no packs of neighborhood kids anymore, everyone seems to stay inside their yard/house.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I dont think my parents ever owned a car seat (and there were 4 of us)

we used to jump off the tank ... even convinced my sister she could fly if she jumped off

we rode motor bikes all around, raced each other, made race tracks etc (all no helmet and a few crashes)

we rode on the back of the ute - everywhere!!!

so many things I shudder to think of now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We grew up near bushland. My mum was really protective but things I remember doing under the supetvision of my dad
    - bike riding through the bush...as fast as we could go, ducking under branches etc as we went.
    - Playing hide and seek in the dark in the bush. I really can't believe how dumb my dad was encouraging this!
    - Riding our bikes down big hills as fast as we could with no hands.

My childhood was lots of fun...but my kids take risks and play in the streets with their neighbourhood friends, and come home when the street lights come on. Truth be told, they'll have more 'what were my parent's thinking' stories than I do 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha so many.
    Born late 80's so 90's child.
    Next door was sort of bushland no one had brought the land so made cubby houses with broken trees same with next door to my best mates place picking berries think they were black who knows we ate them having Billy carts down our steep street playing cricket on our street which was pretty busy we just used to call "CAR" and bolt to the side of the road.
    Swimming without our parents close by or at home staying at home by ourselves from about 11 yrs old.
    Catching tadpoles in the creek at the end of the street without supervision.
    Riding our bikes til the street lights came on or after in summer.
    God I could be dead a million times over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome thread! Let's see:

Firecrackers

I had 4 younger siblings who I babysat regularly from the age of 12. In fact, mum would duck out for milk when I was 8 and leave me watching the other 4.

Catching two trains to school alone at the age of 10.

Knock and run

Driving a quad bike around a farm with literally no instruction (understandable since I'd been explicitly told not to drive it) at 10 years old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that's another one walking or riding my bike to primary and high school about 1km each way from about grade 2 or 3.
    Prank calling all hours night swim at the beach on hoildays bonfires on the beach and trying to do stupid stuff around it and jumping it lol.
    On hoildays we used to go to this one caravan park and there was another one about 1k away through bushland (and so we could sneak in) to go to their movie nights or hang out somewhere different anyway from the parents this was from about 12 yrs old.
    Last edited by Mum to a miracle; 10-07-2016 at 23:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember spending a lot of time with the neighbourhood kids making bike jumps on a spare lot of land. We all lost a lot of skin jumping our bikes on them but always went back for more.

Paddling canoes on the lake, poking stingrays with the oars then tipping someone out of the canoe

Jumping off the back fence into our pool....barely making the distance some times but never telling parents about our minor injuries or large bruises.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did we survive?! *Fluff*

Deleted.
    Last edited by Nomia; 10-07-2016 at 23:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    - we would run and jump on to inflatables and foamies in the pool and try to skid on the surface of the water to the other side. I would never let my kids do this! The thought of them falling back and whacking their head on the side of the pool makes me shudder.
    We did this all the time! I didn't know there was another reason to even get into a pool when I was a kid lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was born early 80s so basically no car seats, no helmets and hardly any supervision.

Walking to school alone was a very common occurrence when I was about 10.. Also spending hours in the middle of the bush with my friends, occasionally making camp fires. We didn't see any issues with this at all.

Riding our bikes everywhere, without a helmet of course, and on main roads. One time i rode my bike from kariong to Gosford. I was about 11 or 12 yrs old.

One time we got locked out of the house and parents weren't home so my brother climbed into an unlocked window on the 2nd floor of our house. He was around 13 I think..

I did a lot more reckless stuff that I can't believe I survived when I was in my teens, lots of alcohol was involved. I'm a lot more sensible now lol