+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I was having a conversation today with one of my brothers and the topic turned to our childhood antics. I'd long forgotten about some of the shenanigans that took place between us 4 kids back in the late 80's/early 90's. Made me think, gosh we had fun and lived life on the edge, lol.

So, what are some of the things that you got up to as a youngster that would be classed as "reckless" (perhaps rightly so!) or dangerous?

Here's a quick list of things I can remember doing...

* Sitting on our roof. We'd climb the side fence and monkey swing our way across to the gutter and pull ourselves up. Cool thing was, we lived close to the airport and would see the planes taking off and coming in. We'd sit up there until it grew dark most nights.
    * Who remembers "Cartoon Connection" with Agro? There was a segment where the host, Anne Maree, (don't know how I remember her name after 25 years!) would be blind folded and eat something "gross" and try to guess what it was. We kids decided to reenact the scenes, but used pretty much whatever we wanted, including many non edibles and probably toxic substances...
    * "Playing" underneath the freight train bridge; this was when we were a bit older and rebelous, we had a quarter mile, old rickety train bridge nearby that ran across a very deep valley. Sometimes my older brother and I would sneak out in the middle of the night and meet up with the other local hoodlums and get access to the walkway just under the rail way. Holding on for dear life when the freight trains came across and the whole thing swayed was the aim. As an adult this actually haunts me, as it was just so bloody dangerous!
    Are you referring to the Whitten Bridge neighbour?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-07-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Are you referring to the Whitten Bridge neighbour?
    Yes!!! I surely am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes!!! I surely am.
    ETA- we lived in East Keilor when I was 14-15

Thanks
    Reviews
    ETA- we lived in East Keilor when I was 14-15
    Lol
    Actually I think the Whitten bridge is the one parallel to the freight train bridge? Still over the same deep valley!

I spent my school holidays at my cousins in EK, I vaguely remember them putting coins on the train track (behind Sterling drive) and watch the trains go over and flatten them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't own a bike helmet until I bought one myself when I was about 20. I lived on my bike as a kid, riding around my suburb all weekend (in Brisbane). Shoes were also optional.

We played down at the creek behind the park near my friends' house all of the time. There was all manner of danger there but no one seemed concerned and we came to no grief.

We sat on the roof a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We also built a skate ramp in one of the vacant blocks. I would have been 9 and the only girl amongst 20 or so boys ranging from 7-16. We'd be out there all day without anyone giving us a second thought.
    Played in the creek behind our house without adult supervision.
    We climbed through the ceilings of houses being built in our area. (This one not so safe as I fell through and ended ip in hospital).
    Cracker night!
    Disappearing into the paddocks behind us for hours on end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    As I was just writing in another thread about car seats. Not only did we not have car seats (I think I went home from the hospital in a bassinet on the back seat), we also used to sit in the back part of the station wagon and drive around like that.

I'm worried about the licking the beater comment - I still lick the beaters and DD helps me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Lol
    Actually I think the Whitten bridge is the one parallel to the freight train bridge? Still over the same deep valley!

I spent my school holidays at my cousins in EK, I vaguely remember them putting coins on the train track (behind Sterling drive) and watch the trains go over and flatten them.
    Yes, the Written bridge is the road/car bridge, the quarter mile is the one next to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post

I'm worried about the licking the beater comment - I still lick the beaters and DD helps me.
    Don't be - I let my laughter lick the beaters / bowl too. I only mentioned it because I've seen a meme about licking the beaters as a child and surviving - I didn't realise that some people didn't still do that lol.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (09-07-2016),KitiK  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This isn't exactly the one I've see previously, but same message.ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1468070309.416659.jpg