+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How did we survive?! *Fluff*

I was having a conversation today with one of my brothers and the topic turned to our childhood antics. I'd long forgotten about some of the shenanigans that took place between us 4 kids back in the late 80's/early 90's. Made me think, gosh we had fun and lived life on the edge, lol.

So, what are some of the things that you got up to as a youngster that would be classed as "reckless" (perhaps rightly so!) or dangerous?

Here's a quick list of things I can remember doing...

* Sitting on our roof. We'd climb the side fence and monkey swing our way across to the gutter and pull ourselves up. Cool thing was, we lived close to the airport and would see the planes taking off and coming in. We'd sit up there until it grew dark most nights.
    * Who remembers "Cartoon Connection" with Agro? There was a segment where the host, Anne Maree, (don't know how I remember her name after 25 years!) would be blind folded and eat something "gross" and try to guess what it was. We kids decided to reenact the scenes, but used pretty much whatever we wanted, including many non edibles and probably toxic substances...
    * "Playing" underneath the freight train bridge; this was when we were a bit older and rebelous, we had a quarter mile, old rickety train bridge nearby that ran across a very deep valley. Sometimes my older brother and I would sneak out in the middle of the night and meet up with the other local hoodlums and get access to the walkway just under the rail way. Holding on for dear life when the freight trains came across and the whole thing swayed was the aim. As an adult this actually haunts me, as it was just so bloody dangerous!
    * We had a gumball machine and I would take a ball out and swallow it down with water for no particular reason other than it felt weird. I was very young, maybe 5? I still recall sitting on the edge of my parent's ensuite bathroom sink, watching myself in the mirror as the gum ball slowly slid down my throat, helped only by a mouthful of water directly from the tap. To think I now have an irrational fear of choking!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 09-07-2016 at 19:48.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-07-2016),LittleBug'sMum  (09-07-2016),littleriv  (09-07-2016),mummymaybe  (10-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to play a game where I'd jump down an entire flight of stairs in our house onto a cushion....with our family day care children playing too. What was my mother thinking!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I remember we used to climb onto our garage roof and then jump off! For fun. I'm sure there is more, just can't think of them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We lived on a slopey street- we used to challenge ourselves to standing up on skateboards all the way down, with severe wobbles, then ditch ourselves into a dirt mound. Also, we used to jump from the verandah one storey up, into the pool.

Now, you may have come to appreciate through my posts that as an adult i opt for the most conservative option! How things have changed!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother and I used to jump off the roof onto the trampoline and bounce into the hedge.

We also spent many hours happily practicing karate kicks and punches into the old asbestos shed on our vacant lot 😨 Yikes! No one knew it was dangerous stuff back then...

As an early teen my best friend's mum used to quirk night shift, so I'd stay over all the time and we'd just walk the streets of the city in the early hours of the morning. I shudder to think what could have happened to us!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gosh we were kids in the 70,s and 80,s so I've probably got heaps! From memory:
    - Fire cracker night! we literally had an arsenal of fire works every year ( luckily my dad supervised!)
    - we used to jump from the garage roof, onto the trampoline ( with no netting) into our pool ( with no fence)
    - we had an Olympic size trampoline and always tried to "bounce " people off
    - always rode our bikes and roller skates without helmets
    - my cousin had a long steep driveway and we would sit on skateboards and fly down it into the street

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-07-2016),~Marigold~  (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    My brother and I used to jump off the roof onto the trampoline and bounce into the hedge.
    For some reason reading that I immediately imagined it playing out in cartoon form 😂

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Lighting fires in the backyard incinerator

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    For some reason reading that I immediately imagined it playing out in cartoon form 😂
    In slow motion too?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    In slow motion too?
    Haha.. Yes, with a fluffy soft landing (somersaulting) into a cloud like shrub 😂