Sunshine Coast or Brisbane? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sunshine Coast or Brisbane?

Hi ladies,

DF, DS and I are travelling to qld in September for a wedding. We have decided to add an extra couple of days to have a little break. We are staying where the wedding is for a few days beforehand (not an ideal holiday destination for us but we will be there anyway) we then plan to travel to either Brisbane or the Sunshine Coast and spend 2 nights (so one full day) there. Here's my question...

If you could only do ONE thing (all day activity) in either place what would it be?

we are willing to drive a bit but not a lot, we will have a hire car. We are happy to spend some money but not a fortune. DS is 2 so would love something for him to really enjoy.
    Would consider doing a couple of things in the day we have but don't want to have to rush and exhaust ourselves.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your DS is 2 isn't he?

For Sunshine Coast I would do the Aquarium.

Brisbane there is still a Dinosaur exhibition on in September (you need to prebook). Also in Brisbane you can spend the whole day in Southbank (and see the dinosaurs) and not have to drive.

I would do Brisbane unless you specifically want beach.

Where is the wedding if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Your DS is 2 isn't he?

For Sunshine Coast I would do the Aquarium.

Brisbane there is still a Dinosaur exhibition on in September (you need to prebook). Also in Brisbane you can spend the whole day in Southbank (and see the dinosaurs) and not have to drive.

I would do Brisbane unless you specifically want beach.

Where is the wedding if you don't mind me asking?
    He is 2. Just over 2 and a half when we go.

Thanks he does like dinosaurs at the moment. Is it quite interactive?

I'm not much of a beach person. We don't live anywhere near a beach so DF may want to be close but I'm not sure. DS hasn't been to the beach yet.
    Last edited by Hasselhoff; 10-07-2016 at 15:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. I know nothing about the area there. And it is a longer drive to Brisbane.

I have not been to the dinosaur thing yet but it looks so cool. Here is the website to check it out - http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/dinosaur#.V4CBe5-ubqA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sunshine Coast- head to Australia zoo or the hinterlands if you're not into the beach

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsh1984 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mooloolaba is lovely. Underwater world is pretty good for kids. Plus the food at the surf club is not too bad either. The beach is a nice one, and relatively protected. Not huge amounts of surf (at least whenever I've been there!)

Brisbane has Southbank, the museum (lots of cool things for kids to look at, regardless of age) which is free unless you're going to specific exhibitions, the art gallery/GoMA. GoMA often has kids interactive exhibitions on that your DS might be interested in. There's a "beach" at Southbank if you wanted to take DS for a paddle without the threat of big waves and creepy crawlies. There are also playgrounds scattered around Southbank and you can always hop on a ferry/CityCat and take a ride up/down the river. You could hop off the CityCat at new farm park, again there's another playground and plenty of space for your DS to run around. You could then have a walk around the old powerhouse and then catch the CityCat back. Southbank has loads of places to eat from takeaway style foods to casual restaurants to fancy restaurants. Plus they have Cold Rock ice cream and a Max Brenner. You can't go wrong really

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh also while you're up for the wedding, check to see what's happening at Mon Repos - they have a turtle thing there and during the right seasons you can see turtles coming up the beach to lay their eggs/hatchlings going down the beach to the water. Also September will be the end of the whale watching season too, so if you were somewhere coastal you may catch a glimpse of a whale or 2.

Thanks
    Reviews

If you're not that into the beach I'd say Brisbane, specifically Southbank. There's a whole day of fun to be had there and no driving necessary.

The Sunshine Coast is wonderful though - the beaches, Noosa National Park, Underwater World, Australia Zoo - however they are spread apart over the coast and if you only have one day you won't see much or spend half the day driving.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you all so much given us lots to think about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're museum members so have cheap entry into the dinosaurs. To be honest it's not a whole day thing. With a 21/2 year old ( speaking from experience) you'll be lucky to stretch it to 45 mins.
    It's tiny and whilst there's some interaction it's aimed at older kids.