+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Severe morning sickness & flying long distance - tips??

I have had morning sickness since about week 3 and it is making me totally miserable! I am 9 weeks now and throwing up about 20+ times a day. My doctor drips me regularly, giving me maxolon each time, as well as prescribed me zofran and pyroxin for the nausea and phenergen to help me sleep. I have just been having so many down moments it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My husband and I only just got married and fell pregnant right away, and we are meant to leaving on our honeymoon in 5 days. It's nearly 10 hours from Australia to Hawaii and I'm freaking out! Has anyone travelled long haul when they are severely sick, and have any tips to pass on? I've thought about cancelling but once we get there we don't have to do anything but lie on the beach, and I have been looking forward to it for so long so I'm very reluctant to do so. We need to have SOME quality alone time before the baby comes!

Any help is very much appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have clearance from your doctor to fly? I can't imagine it would be a very good idea to take a long-haul flight to another country when you are so sick every day to the point of having to be put on a drip. My morning sickness wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours yet it felt like such a mission flying or driving four hours within the country. No wonder you're miserable. Is there any chance you could cancel or postpone and take a nice trip somewhere a few hours' drive away to relax instead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, how awful for you! I'm wondering if you'd enjoy it more after the dreaded 12weeks has passed? I'd be call your travel agent and seeing what your other options are (sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear) hoping things get easier for you soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lealea84 View Post
    I have had morning sickness since about week 3 and it is making me totally miserable! I am 9 weeks now and throwing up about 20+ times a day. My doctor drips me regularly, giving me maxolon each time, as well as prescribed me zofran and pyroxin for the nausea and phenergen to help me sleep. I have just been having so many down moments it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My husband and I only just got married and fell pregnant right away, and we are meant to leaving on our honeymoon in 5 days. It's nearly 10 hours from Australia to Hawaii and I'm freaking out! Has anyone travelled long haul when they are severely sick, and have any tips to pass on? I've thought about cancelling but once we get there we don't have to do anything but lie on the beach, and I have been looking forward to it for so long so I'm very reluctant to do so. We need to have SOME quality alone time before the baby comes!

Any help is very much appreciated!!!
    I am not sure it is the best idea to go. Not only due to the flight but what if you need hospital/drip overseas? Not sure if any travel insurance will cover you. And it is really expensive if you do need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I strongly recommend postponing this trip until you are well into the second trimester.
    If you have HG, which it sounds like you do, it would be a waste of a trip as you just won't be able to enjoy yourself.
    I was told by my OB not to travel overseas under any circumstances until my HG eased, that he could only permit me to travel domestic due to work requirements.

PP is right, what if you become very ill on the plane or when over there? I couldn't imagine anything worse than being sick multiple times on a long haul flight and having no space.
    I struggled just with domestic flights and being thankful I could at least have privacy in the lounge bathrooms.

These are all things you should be seriously considering.
    Good luck with your decision and I really hope you start to get some relief soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you go, check your travel insurance policy carefully before you leave. It would be terrible to end up needing any expensive medical treatment in the US and then discovering that your pregnancy wasn't covered.

I hope you can find a solution that works!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I too would look at changing the dates. it'll cost a little bit but will be cheaper than any medical treatment you may need overseas. I hope the HG eases up for you and you get to enjoy your honeymoon! oh and congrats on the wedding and baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Much as I hate to be negative - I'd also postpone. I'm sorry.

I had awful morning sickness (but not as bad as yours) and even flying short distance was a nightmare. I have never been so sick on a flight as I was when in first trimester. I literally threw up from start to finish. And that was a 2 hr flight. 10hrs would have been unbearable. I flew later on in my pregnancy and it was completely different.

I'd postpone - even just til second trimester, and see if your morning sickness settles.

Sorry that's not what you wanted to hear.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Severe morning sickness & flying long distance - tips??

I'm 15 weeks now and it's only just started to ease in the past few days/ despite being told that it would prob ease around 12 weeks- but everyone is different. For me it actually got worse at that time!!

Also been on drip in hospital twice and on multiple meds (which I'm still taking). Haven't been to work for 8 weeks now.

I understand you want to go, but if there's anything worse than being sick it's being sick in another country. I've been miserable in my own house, so waiting around in airports etc would be a nightmare. I also had food poisoning coming home from Bali at Xmas. I vomited and fainted at airport and thought they probably wouldn't let me on the plane. I also cancelled a weekend trip to Sydney (from Melb) a few weeks ago as even the thought of that scared me. Imagine not being able to even walk down the road and have a nice meal in Hawaii! And the heat might make you feel even sicker. I'd seriously reconsider postponing too until you are well and can enjoy it without the added stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely post Pone it. It's your honeymoon. Even if it costs you to delay it. It would be hell to be stuck on a plane that long sick. Trust me! I have done it with gastro.
    If you get a doc note for the airline saying you are unfit to travel until a certain date you are more likely to get complimentary date change depending on booking type. Goodluck!