+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Changes regarding his discipline, yes. DS is 6

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I have. Our son has auditory processing disorder and a few speech and language delays in certain areas, which led to him having low self esteem around peers. Karate has helped boost his confidence and shown him he is just as capable as anyone else. It has also helped with his ability to focus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure which I should choose.. Is there much differences between karate and tae kwan do? Is one harder than the other?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you specifically want Karate or Tae kwan do?

Check out your local PCYC for the Martial Arts they offer.
    Mine doesn't offer Karate or Tae Kwan Do, but they do have a really good Judo program. Their Jujitsu is also very popular.

$8 per session for Judo and $7 for the Jujitsu after an annual membership fee of $20.

ETA DS did Judo for years. It is contact, with flipping each other, but with rules and it is safe. He tried Karate but found it wasn't physical enough for him. Judo was more rough and tumble and he loved it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd is pretty sure she wants karate, but will check out the others Ssecret squirrel

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son lacked strength and confidence and since starting karate 2 years ago we have seen a huge change in him. Highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    Yes, I forgot to add it was $50 for the uniform and $50 for grading.
    Wow, expensive grading. The last grading I paid was $33 to go onto a yellow belt. His teacher wants him to grade for the green(he only got his yellow belt about 3 months ago) but kiddo says he doesn't feel confident enough for that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    has anyone seen any changes regarding confidence or strength?
    A huge change in confidence especially at school. Strength, kiddo can do something like 30 knuckle push ups as it was part of his grading.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    One of the things I really like about taekwando is that no matter your age, everyone starts down the bottom. Kiddos class is such a mixed range of ages. Everyone is expected to help everyone which works well for our school. Not sure how other schools work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    Wow, expensive grading. The last grading I paid was $33 to go onto a yellow belt. His teacher wants him to grade for the green(he only got his yellow belt about 3 months ago) but kiddo says he doesn't feel confident enough for that yet.

A huge change in confidence especially at school. Strength, kiddo can do something like 30 knuckle push ups as it was part of his grading.
    I actually thought it was all pretty cheap! I didn't buy a uniform through them though as I found a brand new one at the op shop for $8, it will last a while too. Grading only happens twice a year, ds started at the beginning of the year and went up to a yellow belt a few weeks ago. Will see where he is at at the end of the year for next grading or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    I actually thought it was all pretty cheap! I didn't buy a uniform through them though as I found a brand new one at the op shop for $8, it will last a while too. Grading only happens twice a year, ds started at the beginning of the year and went up to a yellow belt a few weeks ago. Will see where he is at at the end of the year for next grading or not.
    Kiddos uniform will last another year and then we will resell it back to the club. Our club does grading at least once a month or so but it's many clubs at the same time. I can't go to grading if I have worked a night shift coz I literally feel hung over coz it's an all day thing(they usually let us go before the black belts do their thing). They have actually got a little bit more lenient though and started grading on a Thursday night and let the kids go after they are done which is good. Kiddo was on white belt with the yellow tips for quite some time but that was his own choice as he was scared to test.