+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much does your DH help around the house?

I'm just curious how much your DH helps inside the house? Not talking outside/garden etc.
    Do you both work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a SAHM and my husband helps out wherever needed when he is home. He does travel away a lot so when he is here he is super helpful as the majority of the time it's me alone. If he sees a basket of washing overflowing he will fold it and put it away, vacuum a mess, pack/empty dishwasher etc He has certain 'jobs' like the bin & recycling that he does every day. He also does breakfast for the three biggest kids while I am BF'ing no. 4 upstairs in bed and have a shower of a morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I recently went back to work after 2yrs off after having my second child. We both work 4 days so each have a day at home during the week (different days). DH actually has more time at home because he has a short commute and mine is over an hour.

The housework has always been a bit of an issue. I am struggling to keep on top of it, and DH claims he's too busy on his home day to do even a load of washing. So even though he says he's happy to share the housework, he always needs me to tell him what needs to be done. Drives me crazy, it's not rocket science, it's the same tasks every week!!

Now that I'm working again I am pushing to get a cleaner but DH keeps saying we don't need one. I always tell him that he wouldn't think that if he was the one doing it!

I also hate the phrase "helping around the house" as it implies the man is helping the woman with her job. It's not helping, it's doing their fair share.

Sore point for me at the moment!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (08-07-2016),BettyV  (10-08-2016),DT75  (10-08-2016),MINIRoo  (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with the point about "helping"!

I work 2-3 evenings a week (usually work 2:45-10pm with quite a drive each way). I need to express when I get home and DS is often up and down all night. DP works from home running his own business. He'd like to do about 6 full days a week, but can't as it's only us caring for the kids. He probably works about 45 hours a week, in bits and pieces.

We share the housework. We have to. I'm more aware of what needs to be done, but DP will do anything he notices or anything I ask him to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am stay at home mum. Three children almost 1, 2 and 3 year old all home full time. Hubby works min- fri business hours. Leaves 7:45am home around 5:45pm.

When he is home we are totally 50/50, he is very hands on. We are very much just get in and get it done people. So he will clean up after dinner, wipes kids, high chair over, rinse and stack dishwasher, sweep, clean floor. Or I do- no big deal who ever starts it first does the other normally moves the kids away so they don't go through the mess again.
    Every Wednesday night he sweeps and then mops the whole house. I do it on Sunday nights. He irons his own business clothes for work. He get the two big kids breakfast every morning.

Normally on a Saturday morning we will both together fold any clean washing that has piled up from the week.

I am pretty organised in my day to day stuff so I keep on top of all washing, changing sheets, cleaning bathroom, vacuum. But if I ask him on the weekend he will hang washing out etc. I try to do all the cleaning/ washing during the week so weekend is family time.

I do the food shopping and organising and also nearly all the cooking but that is because I enjoy it- he would love to be in the kitchen but I don't let him haha

I consider myself very lucky, he is happy to do whatever needs. I do do most but he is capable and willing. When I had the babies and was in hospital for the week he handled the house fine.

Best tip was if I need him to do something I just give options- want to clean up after dinner or bath the baby? Now we just work well in sync.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an online business, I am finishing off my accounting degree and DH is a full time baker.

We have a good balance, mind you, we have been together 11 years to figure it out. I do clean, but I also tend to do more of the logistical, budgeting (read: I am the brains of the operation).

DH does more physical (brawn) things, but tends to prefer direction every now and again, because I can be very.... particular

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We both work full time. He does all the dishes, cooks every second night, and washes and irons his own work clothes.
    We have a cleaner to do a majority of the cleaning.
    I do my washing and DD's. While DH is doing the dishes each night, I'm bathing DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Very little these days. He works a big week, average being an 11 or 12 hour day, 5 days a week. Sometimes a 6th half day and it's a very physically demanding job.

I only work 2 days now in a sit down job. He's usually drained once he gets home and has a fairly hard time with pain from his job. He sometimes cooks once a week or so but that's about it. Sometimes he baths DS for me and he's recently started dressing DS after the bath too as I'm starting to struggle with getting bigger with this pregnancy and my back struggles with a wriggling and writhing toddler.

It's a bit of a sore point for me too but we'll have a newborn in a couple of months and the jobs in the house will no doubt see a new dispersal as I will be tied up with breastfeeding etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much does your DH help around the house?

Mine doesn't help. At all. Currently on mat leave with my second but I work 2-3 days a week usually.
    He wouldn't have a clue how to use the washing machine or where ANYTHING is in this house.
    He's washed up on the rare occasion (no dishwasher) when he wants a root.
    Sigh.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (08-07-2016),MillieMollyMandy  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh works full time and I am currently having 12 months off after having baby #3. I do more than dh atm, because I am home more. Dh leaves for work around 5.30am and my kids are all up by then so I try to make my mornings count by spending an he or two doing housework. If I get nothing else done around the house for the rest of the day I'm not fazed.

dh and I split cooking pretty evenly, he cleans the kitchen, does the floors and bins every night. He also puts the oldest two to bed every night. He will do laundry as needed and a general tidy of the house most days. I do more of the bathroom scrubbing and dusting. He also wakes with the kids every sat and sun morning while I sleep in for a few extra hrs. In that time he usually gives one room of the house a pretty decent clean and will have already cleaned up after breakfast etc.