+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by baby245 View Post
    At least the teachers are university educated.
    Lol this is funny!

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeschooling4 View Post
    Lol this is funny!
    I honestly don't think that this is a homeschooling/unschooling vs mainstream debate. The OP asked for guidance from people that could relate to her OP.
    If you can't, maybe leave it be?

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

baby245  (08-07-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (08-07-2016),cheeeeesecake  (08-07-2016),gingermillie  (08-07-2016),pointless1  (10-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (08-07-2016),TheGooch  (08-07-2016)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    100 Posts in a week
    I work in a NSW Catholic school and we have increased the amount of reading recovery teachers at our school.

I work in learning support. Even if the child is not funded, and is on the learning support radar, they would get extra help and have a PP (personalised plan) in place for their education.

Multi-lit is one program used for our struggling readers. Our students who have done reading recovery, still have a reading recovery teacher working with them 5 days a week from year 2 to 6 to ensure the strategies taught and continued being used correctly. We also use a buddy system, the confident readers in year 6 spend 10minutes a day reading with the struggling readers (usually in the library at lunch).

As a parent myself, I would definitely sit down with the Principal and discuss your concerns. I think the teacher has lost her passion for teaching. Teaching is about helping everyone learn and love learning. Just because some find it harder, you never give up on them, you just change how you approach the lesson.
    Good luck, pm me if you would like anymore information.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks all. It's good to have info when seeing the principal. My feeling is there is something however his teacher is just washing her hands of any responsibility. She is honestly, an extremely unpleasant women who obviously hates her job. My DS went to her showing her he needed a new page to write his readers on as he had filled it...reading a total of 25 books which is no mean feat for my son. Her response.? .'.I don't have time for that now. Put it in the homework box and I'll stick a new one in later '. Not a well done in sight. And this was in front of DH!
    I can't change schools as we changed from another school this year and in just can't put him through that again. I just want them to tell me how they are going to help my son! All I get is sorry, ,nothing we can do!