+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default School support of kids struggling with reading and maths?

I was just wondering what support your school offers for children who are behind in reading and/or maths. 6.5y old DS is in Y1 is only on Level 4 reader ( PM benchmark) and behind in maths. I have had a number of conversations with his teacher about the fact he is behind. The last two I asked when can the school do to help him and she has said nothing, it is up to the teacher to try and do something in the class room with all her other students. (She is for the record an extremely unpleasant, defensive women and many parents think she is unstable.) We pay for a private tutor, his sisters teacher gave us some work for him to do after it came up in casual conversations. His teacher said I can talk to the teacher who deals with the children with learning problems ' to see if she knows about something that I don't' her words exactly. I did that - she suggested some assessments as he is quite hyper however I work in child health and half the children I see are referred to us from schools for behavioral issue. I have filled out the forms for my own interest and he is fine. His tutor does not think there is a problem and he has sat with her at times for two hours straight working ( his choice - he loves her to pieces). i am arranging to speak to the principle however I was wondering what other schools do -especially as Reading Recovery is no longer available. this issue was raised in about the 3rd week of school and now we are in Term 3 and nothing has been done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default School support of kids struggling with reading and maths?

Do they have reading recovery? Has he been referred to the learning support team? Is he getting support from another teacher in class? Has he got an IEP because he is so low? Is it a public school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Do they have reading recovery? Has he been referred to the learning support team? Is he getting support from another teacher in class? Has he got an IEP because he is so low? Is it a public school?
    It was my understanding that Reading Recovery has been removed from Australian schools as of this year as it was shown to not be very beneficial for most kids doing it? I know his school does not have it anymore. According to this teacher nothing has replaced it...
    He is not getting any help at all. No extra support that I am aware of - that is the issue I am having. I asked what is the school doing, teacher tells me there is nothing they can do - which I don't actually believe. What is an IEP?? He is at a Catholic School - moved from a really good private school this year so we are new to this school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm wanting to know what support other kids might have at their schools so I can go to the school and say what about this and that or that etc...

Mod-biscotti is online now Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What state are you in?
    Here in Qld the Sate Government has made funds available to schools called "Investing for Success" and the funds are used for supporting students particularly those most in need, to achieve improved outcomes. At our school these funds are used in the lower school > new resources have been purchased and an extra teacher has been employed and she works with identified children from prep to year 2 in small groups. Extra teacher aides have also been employed to work with these children and the program seems to be achieving the goals set with children meeting benchmarks which is fantastic.
    Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    It was my understanding that Reading Recovery has been removed from Australian schools as of this year as it was shown to not be very beneficial for most kids doing it? I know his school does not have it anymore. According to this teacher nothing has replaced it...
    He is not getting any help at all. No extra support that I am aware of - that is the issue I am having. I asked what is the school doing, teacher tells me there is nothing they can do - which I don't actually believe. What is an IEP?? He is at a Catholic School - moved from a really good private school this year so we are new to this school.
    Reading recovery is alive and well in NSW.

If there's no reading recovery and he is only level 4 in year 1 after a year of school already then he should be on an iep. I would ask the teacher for his iep or if there is a learning support team that he can be referred to.

I am a public school teacher in NSW and I currently work as an interventionist with year 1/2 students who are well behind in reading and writing. The classroom teacher should have flagged your child somehow and he should be getting extra help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just relax. He's only 6. He will learn to read in his own time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Read to him lots, give him every opurtunity to read, write, spell.
    Does he get pocket money? Help with his maths by teaching budgeting, cooking etc.

Anything natural (life learning) where he isn't being forced to learn these things is a lot better IMO. Let him learn these things through play, etc.

He's probably bored and just wants to play. Not sit down doing worksheets!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeschooling4 View Post
    Read to him lots, give him every opurtunity to read, write, spell.
    Does he get pocket money? Help with his maths by teaching budgeting, cooking etc.

Anything natural (life learning) where he isn't being forced to learn these things is a lot better IMO. Let him learn these things through play, etc.

He's probably bored and just wants to play. Not sit down doing worksheets!
    I don't think this is good advice at all. If he is behind and potentially has a learning difficulty, just "learning through play" is not going to help him. He need to be assessed.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-07-2016),FearlessLeader  (08-07-2016),gingermillie  (08-07-2016),misskittyfantastico  (08-07-2016),MissMuppet  (08-07-2016),New Hope  (09-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, well have him looked at then. But you still can't (or shouldn't) force children to learn.

Each to their own.