Toilets at preschool? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toilets at preschool?

Okay this is a bit of a random question.
    My partner and I were discussing our childcare/preschool experiences.
    I have a very vivid memory of the kids' toilets at preschool being all in one big room and having "toilet time" before naptime when we were expected to all be able to go at the same time.
    The toilets were arranged in a U shape along 3 walls of the room and there were no screens between us.
    I could never go and started making excuses at this time or going earlier to have a bit of privacy. This really upset me.
    My partner did not experience this at all. His preschool had mini cubical toilets.
    How common is my experience? Is this relatively normal? Would you send your kids to a preschool that had this setup?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our kids kinder has toilets in one big room. It's not an issue for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The daycare and pre-school we used had one big room of toilets, just like my pre-school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My preschool had individual cubicles in a completely separate room that wasn't visible unless the teacher walked in there.
    I remember being too scared to go if I was on my own.

My dd's preschool has half height walls in the corner of the room, with a row of toilets that are fully visible if you're in the toilet area, but only visible to an adult if they're close by (other children can't see from outside the toilet area). I did find it odd at first, but I thought about my own experience, as well as every preschool/childcare that I've been in over recent years has the same setup, which must ve for good reason, so I'm okay with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our preschool is on school grounds and so they just use the normal school toilets. The teacher takes whoever needs to go and they can either shut the door or leave it open

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our daycare has the toilets all in one room with half height walls between each toilet to give the kids a bit of privacy but the carers can still supervise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our preschool toilets had half-sized walls and doors, to give a sense of privacy &adult can look in if they need to, but not just anyone walking past can see. My kids really want privacy when using the toilet, kids are up to age 5 at preschool. No way would I have used an 'open' toilet at that age! As an adult, an open toilet is my worst nightmare 😯

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    As an adult, an open toilet is my worst nightmare
    I have legitimately had nightmares (a few times) about having to use public toilets with no doors on them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I have legitimately had nightmares (a few times) about having to use public toilets with no doors on them.
    I have them all. The. Time. I have many phobias surrounding toilets ( or lack of) though!
    When DS went to pre school the toilets were all together, no cubicles. I was horrified! No wonder he never used them ever, for a whole year he managed to hold on until he got home!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I also have regular bad dreams about needing to go to the toilet but only being able to find ones without any walls or doors!

I wonder if early childhood experiences have traumatised us? 🤔

I have heaps of other toilet phobias, which DH thinks are a bit nuts...
    Last edited by Gentoo; 08-07-2016 at 18:38.