+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default chores for 12 year old

as per title, what things do you children around this age do around the house. Trying to work on establishing some kind of plan to implement for Mr does very little except on the rare occasion he feels like it (something I accept responsibility for since I have never really made him)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As a 12yr old I did most types of chores. Sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, emptying/stacking the dishwasher, washing/drying dishes, dusting, polishing furniture, I started cooking dinner around this age too - easy things like Spag Bol, stir fry etc. I would wash the car too (but dad always had to do the roof because I couldn't reach), sweep the garage, water the garden.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS is 9 and he has a daily chart he has to follow. We change it around each week so it doesn't get stale.

Makes own bed

Helps sort laundry, puts his own away, puts mine on my bed

Takes out trash

Brings rubbish bins in on garbo day

Clears dishes after dinner/breaky to stack in dishwasher

Helps with dinner depending on what I'm cooking.

Packs away his toys daily

Feeds dog

Walks dog and my mums to school with my dad when weather is nice.

Mows lawn at home and grandparents house

Helps weed and tend to veggie patch

I started him quite young when I was on my home to make him learn responsibility.

As your DS is 12 it's time he started contributing to help you around the house as I think it will end you endlessly and take a lot of stress in your shoulders about housework and when your mum comes over for a visit. I don't think it's fare that he doesn't help you.

I'd be starting to throw his stuff out if he is just going to leave it lying around. I did this and it worked a charm.

Good luck and when you give him the list stand firm and your ground. Don't let him say what do I get for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    At his age, I would expect help with the dishes, washing whether it's putting in the machine and then hanging out or even bringing it in and helping fold it, vacuuming, general tidy up of main living areas, clean bedroom and some meal help.

My DS is 9 and helps with most of those things apart from the meals and getting the washing into the machine/hanging it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he has never had to do it before I would start slow and build them up.

What are the things that you constantly do for him eg make his bed clean his room pick up his clothes in bathroom. What about doing the dishes with you one washes one dries?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 11 (almost 12 year old) doesn't do all these things, but some suggestions are:

Vaccuming
    Empty and load dishwasher
    Wash dishes
    Rake leaves
    Take out rubbish
    Put washing on and hang it out
    Clean room and clean up in general
    Fold clothes and put them away
    Wipe cupboards and benches