Private midwife? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private midwife?

Hi all- I've just been told that my OB won't be around for my expected due date and have been recommended a private midwife service. This is a new model for me and I have no idea what it means. I'm told they can deliver in any of the hospitals and birth centres in my area which is wonderful. Has anyone used this service or similar and can tell me a bit about their experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you private ? If so with your OB being away he/she should have another partner in the practice they work on stand in for them.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I have used private midwives before, but it was for a homebirth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am private and he does have partners but i like the idea of a midwife and the birth centre. We were high risk for first 2 pregnancies due to my daughter having a fatal heart defect. So i like lots of expert monitoring during pregnancy, but my births have been straight forward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well if your private and have already paid your fee it will depend on how you want to go about having to pay out more for a midwife. But who will deliver the midwife or your OB's stand in. Even though you said your births have been straight forward there I the off chance one could have complications arise and a midwife may not be able to deal with this kind of situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my experience, having hired two private midwives and just now embarking on the journey with a third, it's an excellent mode of care. The midwife can come to you, you can have your appointments at home (wonderful if you have older children especially) and you form a very strong relationship with them. My midwife appointments have scarcely been shorter than an hour and much of it is chatting and cups of tea and getting to know each other/your history/your plans, expectations.

Midwives carry a doppler, or a pinard if you prefer, blood pressure testing gear, the stuff to test your pee for ketones, everything. They are professional, experienced and these days, back by medicare and covered by medical insurance. They keep notes and write down everything from each check up and then of course, are the one to help deliver your baby. I really love the mode of care and continuity, with the care provider is proven to be safer for babies & mothers.

Where are you planning on giving birth? I am guessing at the hospital? So your private midwife will have the backup of an OB anyway if problems arise, but having a midwife will also give you the greater chance of a natural labour.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private midwife?

Hi op. I have not been in your particular situation however I have been cared for exclusively by midwives for both of my pregnancies. I had one primary midwife that cared for me for my entire pregnancy and birth giving me excellent continuity of care (proven to result in the best outcomes for mum and baby). I decided to have my baby at home however If I had chosen to go to hospital then my midwife has practicing rights at my back up hospital. That means that she is able to work within that hospital to continue giving me care. While inside the hospital she works within the hospital team and is able to call on other members of the team as she needs. If there was an obstetric emergency she would manage it just as any other persons emergency would be managed. IMO midwives are the best qualified people to care for pregnant and labouring women. If I was you I would make an appointment to see the midwives that have been recommended to you. Write down all your questions. Ask them about their philosophy of care. Ask them about the process of working in shared care with your OB and about the transfer process if you unexpectedly need hospital care. Good luck. It sounds like fun to meet with these ladies and talk about all you birth options! X
    Last edited by RedCreamingSoda; 08-07-2016 at 09:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just been advised that the private midwives in my area (who are very new) don't offer birth services. So they're happy to see you before and after bub, but not for the birth! So odd- I honestly can't see the point of their services or who would use them!

My Ob uses them for post-birth visits which I guess is useful. But I'm so disappointed they don't offer birth services. I'll have to go with an OB I don't know and the boring old hospital (as opposed to the lovely birth centre).

Thanks
    Reviews
    The reason that they do not offer birth services will be related to private indemnity insurance and politics with the hospitals. It is a common issue that hopefully they will overcome soon.
    Me. I would still use them. If I felt that they were well qualified to care for me. I believe this model of care is what is best for most women.
    Birth choices vary sooooo much around the country. There is often VERY limited choice really. I am a little confused why you can't use the birth centre? Do you not meet their inclusion criteria? Due to your previous high risk pregnancies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I needed to book in about 10 weeks ago if I wanted to use the birth centre (crazy popular here), and I suspect I'm too high risk.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    The reason that they do not offer birth services will be related to private indemnity insurance and politics with the hospitals. It is a common issue that hopefully they will overcome soon.
    Me. I would still use them. If I felt that they were well qualified to care for me. I believe this model of care is what is best for most women.
    Birth choices vary sooooo much around the country. There is often VERY limited choice really. I am a little confused why you can't use the birth centre? Do you not meet their inclusion criteria? Due to your previous high risk pregnancies?