+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default FT work & after school activities

Hi Guys

Just wondering how FT working mums juggle outside school activities like sport or music during the week? Or do you just keep it to weekends?

If the kids are in a private school do they offer lots of sport/music tuition which would minimise having to ferry the kids around?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work early shifts, I finish at 3. No way I could manage it otherwise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. I was going to write the same post today as I'm contemplating returning to work.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I work early shifts, I finish at 3. No way I could manage it otherwise.
    This is me. Although I'm not full time i work casual but nearly every day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not at a private school so can't comment on that but my dd does school sport straight after school one day a week which after school care take her to and pick her up from.
    Other than that, we have no opportunity to do after school activities regularly. By the time we pick her up, it is often 4:30-5pm which is too late for anything but a play, dinner, bath, reading and bed.
    We do swimming on the weekend and I'm planning on doing an activity on a Saturday with her - possibly next term.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Yes, at DS private school all sport, swimming, music, art and really all extra curricular activities are all held at the school after school , which is another reasons we chose it , even in kindy DS does a little a athletics programme on Tuesday afternoons, his teacher takes the participating boys up to the oval straight from class and they get handed over to the sports teachers , we then pick them up after their lessons - or they walk them back to after school care if you can't get their before 6pm , so just check with the school you are looking at to see what they offer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We just do stuff after school. 3 of my kids are at private schools some stuff is at school most not though so we still do gymnastics horse riding auskick and soccer outside of school hours.

I limit what we do in winter as kids get sick if too overloaded and it all gets too hard.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the insight...if I work FT we'll have the money for extra activities for our 3 kiddies however no point if they can't make it to any!
    @Elijahsmum This is something I will now know to ask when looking at schools for next year 👍🏻

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids attend a public school and kids can do choir of a morning (free), and afternoons there's music, drama, robotics, during school times you get the offer of different paid sports (or free sport), and swimming lessons are offered for the last term of school.
    Our kids mainly attend activities outside of school hours as we can manage it, but the options are there for parents who work full time for activities through the week.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I'm a teacher and work 3 days week. I am lucky that in my current teaching role that I don't have a class so my work load is significantly lower than a classroom teacher. I still have work to do at home but it is very manageable with 3 kids and means that I can get my kids to their activities by 5pm on the days that I work.

My children's school doesn't have after school activities/sport as such. They did offer active after school but not actual sport with coaching etc. The school does play competitive sport every Friday against other local schools so it's not like they don't do it. At my children's school, they also do dancing, swimming school, music, afl, etc. during school time.

For sport or other after school activities I would rather my kids do it out of school anyway because I want them to meet lots of other children in many other settings and not be limited to just school friends who they do everything with.

My kids have school friends, dancing friends, footy friends, oz tag friends, karate friends, swimming friends, girl guides friends. The list goes on! Next term my daughter wants to do art lessons as well

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (05-07-2016)