Rough boys | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Rough boys

DS1 is 5 next week. We just had our parent teacher interview at kindy and although the teacher has no concerns with his intellectual ability or behaviour in general it was brought to our attention that he can be quite physical at times - not deliberately so, more of an over-excited boisterous way usually with friends. Think body slams and rough & tumble.

I have noticed too at home he is a lot more active, jumping on couches, running around the house, playing rough etc. We are constantly at him to calm down, be gentle etc.

I do think he just needs more physical activity, I have heard boys have a rise in testosterone around this age so maybe that's part of it. He has a pretty good whole foods based diet and we limit sugar etc.

Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to curb the behaviour? He already does swimming, kindy sports (we will be changing this to Auskick shortly) and rides his bike regularly. I am not sure I have time or money for more sports but we need to get rid of this energy somehow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Could you enrol him in a martial arts? My son is also around that age and a lot of his friends who are boisterous love martial arts.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (05-07-2016),SuperGranny  (06-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our local primary school noticed this with a number of their kindly/reception kids, and introduced a supervised wrestling program. One of the teachers takes the session every morning... They taught the kids how to wrestle safely and respectfully, and they get the officially sanctioned opportunity to do it every morning. Huge improvement apparently in concentration and participation from those kids!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rough boys

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Could you enrol him in a martial arts? My son is also around that age and a lot of his friends who are boisterous love martial arts.
    I second this! We enrolled my ds (5) in Karare at the beginning of the year and he absolutely loves it, he just went up to a yellow belt!

Eta: He was the opposite though, very gentle etc. We did it as a self confidence boost for him.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 05-07-2016 at 17:06.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you yes it is something I have considered. I don't know enough about martial arts and worry about him mixing with the 'wrong' kids but I do know it's supposed to teach them self control, respect and discipline which I think is important. Is there a particular style of martial arts that's better? Or just karate?
    Sigh, not even 5 and I am already looking at after-school activities running my life, lol. I should get used to it with 2 boys I guess...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Thank you yes it is something I have considered. I don't know enough about martial arts and worry about him mixing with the 'wrong' kids but I do know it's supposed to teach them self control, respect and discipline which I think is important. Is there a particular style of martial arts that's better? Or just karate?
    Sigh, not even 5 and I am already looking at after-school activities running my life, lol. I should get used to it with 2 boys I guess...
    Remember though if you choose private most will be through school

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rough boys

We just do Karate, but within that they do sparing and wrestling (they are taught how to do it so they are not actually hurting the other person). I'll see if I can find a photo and if you'd like it can email/private message you a video of what it is like.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 05-07-2016 at 17:44.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rough boys

Deleted.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 05-07-2016 at 20:34. Reason: Deleted

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. As I sit here he has been watching Tree fu Tom and gets up and does all the actions so I am guessing he would probably like this kind of thing!

I guess I need to call the local karate club and have a chat with them. I want to be sure it's going to teach him self control etc and not make him likely to demonstrate his moves on his kindy mates...

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DS (6) does karate too. It seems to have curbed his 'enthusiasm' to some degree. Although he does like testing the moves out on his dad...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (05-07-2016),sunnygirl79  (05-07-2016)