+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Circ for medical reasons - questions

My 3yo DS has had a couple of infections over the past couple of months. Both times a GP has looked at it they've said that although the infections are quite common and easily treated/avoided, the opening of the foreskin is very small, and may be too tight for it to retract properly as he gets older.

They've said to give it until he's 4-5yo and if it hasn't gotten better, as in if it's still too tight to retract properly, then he'll need to be circumcised.

I'm worried about leaving it that late though as I don't want him to be old enough to remember it being done 😕 But I also don't want to do it unless it's necessary. Ugh, such a tough decision!

So, questions:

- Those who've had their boys circ'd later, what age, and did they remember it? Was it tough on them? Painful?

- How is the procedure done for older kids? What type of pain relief/anaesthetic is given during the procedure? Are parents in the room?

I just can't bear the thought of my little boy being scared or in pain 😢

Thanks
    Reviews
    No experience myself, but will just say that I have quite a few memories from when I was 3 years old. I can remember some medical tests, climbing out of my cot, moving into a room with my sister, parents selling my cot, trying to sleep on a really hot night with a fan blowing on me, a teddy bear's picnic at playgroup and a number of other things. My partner, who had some pretty traumatic things happen at a young age, only remembers 2 things from under the age of 6.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At his age it would be a general anaesthetic.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A little different but my hubby got done at 12 (religious reasons). He had a local, was awake for the op and remembers every single thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    My almost 11 year old is having a medically needed circ on Wednesday. I'll come back and update you :-) He's having a general.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephew was done at 9. He is autistic but coped fine. We talked it up as his new swish willy. It was done under GA. it looked horrible after it with the stitches. But he coped ok and he's not a brave boy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKLM View Post
    A little different but my hubby got done at 12 (religious reasons). He had a local, was awake for the op and remembers every single thing
    Oh geez, how traumatic! Poor guy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bro had it done when he was older as well (I think 10 or 11) for medical reasons. General anaesthetic. The advantage of him being old enough to remember is he can also remember why it was medically necessary. So he's never been in a "did you really have to get it done?" questioning place.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS was born with half a foreskin and a hernia. ****** ex said lets see if the Foreskin will grow fully now that he's is born. Yes he was a complete moron.

After I found out about the hernia I had to wait 18months to get both things fixed up. Only reason for that is the type of hernia he had can fix themselves but it didn't

Both where done under a GA as day surgery. We are private. Went in Around 7am, surgery 10am, home by 230/3pm. He was under for 20mins max.

Had his own little hospitAl gown which I kept. When brought back to me he was happy as larry but a little groggy.

At 18 months he can't remember a thing. Had a little bandage around the end for a few days and that was it. Baby Panadol for relief.

I wouldn't wait any longer then that as kids start yo have memories

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice and input everyone! I think we'll wait until after he's 4yo then, unless he gets more infections. Going under GA is scary, but I'm glad they do it that way so he won't have to be aware of it happening.

Now I just need to decide whether to circ bub #2 after birth or not.... don't want to, but don't want to risk having to do it to an older kid again... argh!! Hate having to make these decisions 😡