+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No way would I gave my child around that dog. MIL should either lock it up or get it a muzzle.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would second the idea of a crate as suggested by a PP. Crate training an be very useful for dogs with anxiety. If this can be the dogs little den with a bed and toy they like it can be her safe place and then it's safe for your kids too. I would encourage the kids to stay away from the crate, no fingers poking through etc, so that the dog can feel peaceful and safe there.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (04-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-07-2016),SJ565  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also third the crate suggestion. When done right, the crate becomes the dogs safe place where they can get away and be calm.
    That also means though that the dog needs to be left alone in the crate (no tapping the crate etc). A good dog behaviourist should be able to help as well.
    And just as an aside- height=dominance for dogs. By having the dog on her lap, the dog moves up the pecking order, so probably more likely to have these kinds of incidents if they are in an elevated position.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not over reacting at all. I'm surprised your DH and in laws are being so dismissive.

My BIL and his three hunting dogs live with my in laws. My son is not allowed near them, they have never attacked anyone but I don't trust them so will not take the risk.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    I'd suggest a few things:

- dog gets put in pet pen for short visits
    - MIL gets a dog trainer to give her instruction on working on the dog's anxiety & territoriality
    - Teach DD how to interact with dogs. I know this is hard when they're very young, but constant reminders and instruction does help.
    - I wouldn't stay there overnight anymore. If it's a long distance from home can you get a motel/airbnb for the night?
    - If MIL can't keep the dog away from the kids, then arrange to meet out of her house, eg. A park, cafe or at your house.

I wouldn't ever let my kids be in direct contact with that dog again. Your poor DD, hope her injuries heal quickly
    All of this. Fantastic advice.

Unfortunately, without a behaviourist coming in and some pretty big effort from your MIL, its unlikely things will get better with her dog, only worse.

Most people just don't see the subtle body language and signs dogs give off before they bite, it's almost never completely out of the blue. We do see the tiny signs (it can be a quick stiffening, a twitch of the ear, a widening of the eyes), because we've been trained to see them, but whenever a young child visits our house, our dogs are crated. They don't feel left out, they're not upset (actually they're probably relieved they don't have to deal with an unpredictable small human), because those signs are incredibly easy to miss if you're concentrating on a child. If your MIL loves her dog and loves her grandchild, she shouldn't have to think twice about crating the dog. It will keep both of them safe.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (04-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-07-2016),pointless1  (04-07-2016),SJ565  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Had a talk to dh and it turns out he is just as concerned about the dog and upset about dd being attacked as I was, especially seeing dd1's face again this morning.

He's almost certain, as am I, his parents are just as upset and feeling guilty (we left shortly afterwards so didn't really discuss/digest the whole thing) and will chat to them tonight about their options- and you guys have provided some great ideas here.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (04-07-2016),Californication  (05-07-2016),Frankenmum  (04-07-2016),HillDweller  (04-07-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Had a talk to dh and it turns out he is just as concerned about the dog and upset about dd being attacked as I was, especially seeing dd1's face again this morning.

He's almost certain, as am I, his parents are just as upset and feeling guilty (we left shortly afterwards so didn't really discuss/digest the whole thing) and will chat to them tonight about their options- and you guys have provided some great ideas here.
    Hugs gorgeous lady xxx
    Glad you and DH are on the same page.
    Definitely not overreacting.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    This sucks. Glad your DD is on the mend.

Instead of having the dog shut in with a closed door, could you suggest a baby gate? That way the dog won't feel so isolated.

Agree with Renn to teach your daughter how to approach animals as well - I say that with no blame. We have a dog and DS loves animals. We are going to have to teach him not all dogs are our dog.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post: