+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be annoyed it was said in front of the kids, but I also think it would be really hard to work with kids, and then come home to kids. I would absolutely need a break.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (03-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (03-07-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I don't think something like that should ever be said in front of children.

Having said that, I work with children, and I do understand where he's coming from.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (03-07-2016),Renn  (03-07-2016),Stretched  (03-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get he needs a break. But ask for it, don't diss your kids, which is essentially what he's doing. And he's also implying the kids he teaches and his own kids are equals. I would speak to him and say it's not acceptable to speak that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I get he needs a break. But ask for it, don't diss your kids, which is essentially what he's doing. And he's also implying the kids he teaches and his own kids are equals. I would speak to him and say it's not acceptable to speak that way.
    Agree with this. While I'm not a teacher I definitely need breaks from my kids. So I get up at 5am and go to the gym every day.

Almost everyone needs a break but it's up to us a adults to find ways to get that break.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    They're not equals. But what can happen in my experience is that you can be so exhausted from treating other people's kids with patience and respect all day that sometimes you have less tether left with your own. It's not fair, perhaps, but it is an occupational hazard, especially at the tail end of the day when everyone is tired.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Full House  (03-07-2016),PomPoms  (03-07-2016),Renn  (03-07-2016),Stretched  (03-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He shouldn't say this in front of this kids.
    I do get though how he needs a break. Like we all do. My DH works super long hours so I try to give him some space at least half a day on weekend. For a rest. .our movies with his dad/friend. .watch football or play playstation.
    Everyone needs a break.
    When I was working full time as a teacher I never felt that way. .I missed my daughter. .but I was also desperate for a sleep in. .or a coffee in peace etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id be very annoyed and hurt. And id make it clear never ever to repeat within earshot of the kids. What about childcare workers? They still go home and have to deal with their kids, they just get on with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's important to remember we have no idea of the context this was said in. The OP said she takes the kids for a walk...but that might be 30 minutes, and that would not be enough of a break for me...30 minutes at home.
    It doesn't matter what your job is, I don't know anyone who can work and come home and look after kids without any real down time and not be desperate for a break.
    The words should not have been said in front of the kids...but if you read between the lines here is a dad saying he needs some time out. Sure, he's gone about it the wrong way...but we're all very encouraging of mum's getting to have a break. Dad's deserve them, too.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

harvs  (03-07-2016),Renn  (03-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    But what can happen in my experience is that you can be so exhausted from treating other people's kids with patience and respect all day that sometimes you have less tether left with your own. It's not fair, perhaps, but it is an occupational hazard, especially at the tail end of the day when everyone is tired.
    This. So much this.
    I work with kids and have to be patient with them 100% of the time. Due to the nature of my work, I need to give them a lot more leeway than I would usually give children, whilst still ensuring that everyone's safe and day-to-day tasks get done. It's exhausting. I certainly don't have the patience that I would like left for my own kids.

That said, I agree with pretty much all the other comments. He should not be saying this in front of the kids, and should be finding productive ways to get the break, or the alternative forms of fulfillment that he needs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (03-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your responses everyone, I feel he gets plenty of opportunity to go and do his own thing and have time out, he also gets plenty of sleep! I understand he must be tired and less patient at the end of the day I just wish he wouldn't be so negative in front of our children. We definitely need to work on our communication. Probably more on my side!!