+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Night waking and wanting to play

Old time poster on this thread. We struggled big time with DS sleep from the beginning. Fast forward, we are blessed that he finally sleeps through most nights (ie, without us getting up to fix his dummy problem). I admit that it will be a big struggle ahead when we want to wean him. Ok, so what's the problem? In the last few weeks or so, he has been waking up in the middle of the night wanting to play or wanted some comfort (sick or severe separation anxiety). To get us some sleep, we have created a potential problem. We brought him to our bed. Ignored him, he was fine and eventually fell asleep.

If we leave him in his cot for the time he wanted to play, he would fuss (complaining) non stop until we showed up in his room. DH tried stay in his room once, patting him, refusing picking him up. He wouldn't stop crying during all these. After all these efforts, he only slept 30 mins and started again.

Now, he is expecting to come to our bed in the middle of the night.

So what's your strategy to deal with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old is your DS?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is 9 months. Only starting to manage putting the dummy back himself at 8 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS did this at about the same age. Would be up from 2-5am and nothing worked to get him back to sleep. After days of trying different things (rocking, patting, feeding etc etc) I gave up. Got him up, and went to the lounge. I kept it dark and quiet. I dozed on the couch while he played next to me and I didn't interact with him to keep the stimulation down. When he was sleepy, I'd put him back to bed. I thought he would snap out of it after a few days, but he didn't, so after a couple of weeks of that, I started putting him to bed 15 minute earlier every 3 days. It took about 6 weeks of him being up to get him back to sleeping through and it was hell!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am fine putting him in our bed but afraid setting up a bad habit. I am not complaining because it is every few days. Comparing to what he was doing in the past (N times dummy run per night), it is an improvement. Just want to see if anyone encounters this and has a good solution. I assume it passes in the end?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Might be a sign that he's getting too much day sleep. How many day sleeps and how long? X

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Day sleep has been inconsistent since 8 month. He is trying to drop the 3rd nap but it depends how long his other naps are, especially the wake time of his 2nd nap. Total nap time is normally 3hrs. If less than that, he becomes quite grumpy throughout the day. However, some days he could just be in a bad mood no matter how much he sleeps.

He will start the long day at daycare next week so we are trying to stretch out his schedule. Ie, keeping him awake for 3hrs. He has to drop the third nap because we r picking him up at 5pm and don't get home until 6pm. His bed time is 8pm. Most nights he became really upset because he has been up from 3pm (or earlier). We try to put him to bed early in this case but that's with a lot screaming throughout the evening.

We can't tell daycare to change his schedule just yet since he is so inconsistent with his second nap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS: Any nap longer than an hr is a good nap. Ideally 1.5hr. 3rd nap usually fairly short. 30--45mins. But really depends how much sleep he gets at daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds to me that it's not a coincident that you have identified that it's almost time to drop the 3rd sleep and the night waking is happening. Sorry I can't give you any awesome magic advice (really wish I could) but I would focus on sorting the day sleeps. I recon that when you manage to make the transition to two day sleeps then the nights will sort it's self out. Good luck until then. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Night waking and wanting to play

At 9 months definitely drop the third nap (usually gone at 6 months). Look at your timings for the other two naps.

If you want your bub in bed by 7pm, the latest the last nap should finish at is 4pm.

As for waking during the night - the more fuss you make (brining into bed etc) the more habit it will become (as opposed to need). And the harder it will be to stop/get bub to sleep through on his own.

Does bub have a cloth comforter (other than sleep aid?) if so can you wean bub from the dummy? (Dummies are notorious for impacting bubs ability to self settle/encourages night waking).
    Last edited by VicPark; 04-07-2016 at 05:32.