+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Wow, that's a lot! I think the last time I slept 10 hours was when I was a teenager. If I have too much sleep one night, I'm up half the night the next night. My magic number is about 7.5 hours. Less than 7 and I'm yawning all day, but I definitely don't need more than 8.

Yeah, it is. I can even sleep 12 hours and feel like magic the next day. But I'm recovering from CFS so sleep is a big one !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Yeah, it is. I can even sleep 12 hours and feel like magic the next day. But I'm recovering from CFS so sleep is a big one !
    Sorry off topic but how does that work? How does sleep help you recover from CFS? Is it the more sleep you have at night the more refreshed you are the next day? Or is it not that simple?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's complicated, but the science is basically that when you are in full sleep mode, your body is repairing itself - every single time you sleep, whether you are ill, or if you're well, whatever. Hence sleeping well, feeling good, sleeping badly, feeling crap. The number of hours people need to feel well varies a lot, as we can see but generally between 7-9 hours seems to be the sweet spot. In terms of disease recovery or management, that "down time" for your system to repair and be in rest/recovery mode is pretty crucial. Some scientists believe that's why illness such as depression is self feeding - you're depressed, you don't exercise/do much during the day, then you have insomnia & don't sleep well, the cycle propels itself next day and so on. Lack of sleep/interrupted sleep is also now linked to highly increased insulin resistance as seen in diabetes. (I know, mothers are screwed ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    usually 9-10pm I'm tired and ready for bed. we have a 4m old ds though, so I need the extra sleep at the moment.

pre-baby, usual bed time was more like 10:30-11:30pm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its cold so I hop in bed by 830 if DH is playing playstation. I go to sleep between 10-11 on work nights, later on weekends. Sometimes though i hit a tired patch and go to bed at 9 for a few nights in a row..

As for getting up, we get up around 7am and then on my non work days I sleep to around 8

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm suprised that so many people go to bed so early, like between 8-10pm. I wonder if this is why some people have insomnia - they go to bed too early & then lay awake for hours? Just a thought!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I just had the one child, who slept through the night until 7am, I'd usually go to bed about 11-12, or earlier if I needed to be up early/catch up on some sleep. Now that we have DS who is a shocking sleeper...I feel like I need to be asleep by 9pm in order to guarantee any decent amount of sleep. It doesn't generally work out that way though. I usually go to bed around 10, but often have trouble falling asleep/getting back to sleep when I'm woken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually go to bed at 11pm and up at 7 am. ..8 hrs is perfect for me. I do however suffer from insomnia, usually when I'm anxious or stressed about something. If I'm not asleep by midnight and it's not a weekend (ie can sleep in a bit) then I will get up and take half a Restavit. If I don't take it I will toss and turn, stressing about not sleeping til morning. Restavit has been life - saving for me....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could never function on that little sleep OP!

I currently try to go to bed by 9:30-10pm. I'm awake a few times in the night with bub. But she'll sleep in later than my older two and I stay asleep with her while DH deals with the older kids breakfast.

Before I had her I was in bed by 9pm because my second child was waking up between 5-5:30 and I couldn't cope!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been going to sleep by 9:30, but putting that down to first trimester fatigue. I was making 10:30 my latest, but I was getting up and spending at least an hour or more with DS, and he has been waking by 6:30. I function best on 8 to 8.5 hours sleep. I can't remember the last time I had that. I was quite happy with 7 hours up until being pregnant, now I'm struggling again.