+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default what time do you go to bed/sleep

I'm getting very frustrated with myself & the sleep becoming an optional extra according to my mind. Most nights I'm lucky if I can get to sleep by 3-4am & then wake up at around 6am. Obviously this is not enough sleep & not exactly helping my mood.

So what time to you go to bed & to sleep at? I'm over still being awake like I am at midnight and being exhausted but not at all sleepy tired

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am usually in bed physically by around 10pm, but more often than not I faff about on my phone sometimes until 1am ish.
    I wake up generally between 7-8:30 depending what I have on that day. If I don't need to be up for work or school run or another activity I sleep in until DD wakes up which is around 8-8:30.

OP how do you function on such little sleep? I have frequent bouts of insomnia myself and also my DD still has some shocker nights where she'll wake up several times throughout and it kills me the next day.
    Can you take something to help you sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default what time do you go to bed/sleep

I go to bed around 10 and during the week every day I am up at 5 am to go to the gym. Sometimes don't fall asleep until 12 and other times I wake around 3 but knowing I have to get up at 5 I will myself back to sleep. I am not a good sleeper so exercise helps. I am also doing dry July to see if not having alcohol helps.

Definitely no technology in bed.

When I've had bad times with insomnia I take something to help me sleep and break the cycle. I have lived with sleeplessness for about 15 years and I hate it. op is it an option for you?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (03-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I already take a high dose of seroquel (a sedating antipsychotic of a night) & was taking imovane when in hospital/aparc but having the sleeper really didn't help. The I'll have the occasional day like I did a few days ago where I fall asleep at 5am & wake at 4pm which obviously isn't a good thing when you have a child to care for.

A lot of my lack of functioning (think looking at the state of my house right now & wanting to cry it is so bad) comes from the lack of sleep.

Unfortunately DS is just as bad as me - he is still playing in his room now but he'll at least sleep until 8-9 in the morning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Honestly I'd be seeking help from a sleep clinic for you and possibly your son. If this is possible. I know myself I am a different person when I have had a good nights sleep. It is such a gift to be able to sleep.

You can get used to sedatives which may be why you're still not sleeping. Have you tried anything herbal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has had one done in the past - once he gets to sleep apparently he has good quality sleep & his insomnia has been put down to a quirk of his giftedness, so frustratingly something we just have to deal with. We have tried a sleep study with me twice (once medicated, once not) but both times failed to have sufficient sleep for any real information.

We often change up my medication to attempt to overcome the effect of getting used to meds, but because I have nightmares most nights when I do sleep many sleepers or herbal meds (those that don't interfere with other medications) can exacerbate them. It is a frustrating situation all round. Literally the only time I sleep well is when on the psych ward when they will give significant drugs to make sure you sleep because they can monitor you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    On my nights off work, I go to bed about 10:30 but am usually woken up between 12 and 3am each of those nights. Then awake usually by 7am again as woken up. The days I work, I go to bed after kiddo is usually at school so about 9am, sometimes not til 11 but always up by 1:30pm so I can go pick him up. Occasionally I may go back to sleep after I pick kiddo up from maybe 4:30 til 6pm so I can get dinner etc. I struggle with sleep and once I am awake, I am awake.

Today as an example, I got home by 7am, fell asleep on the couch about 7:45 as I remember receiving a phone call not long before that. Dad woke me at 8:20am so we could go vote. Once I got home from that, a friend was over til 3pm and then I was up til 4:30ish talking to mum. Went to bed finally and was up at 7pm and now at work til just after 6:30am. Yeap, I am struggling big time right now but I am also lucky I have a child who will let me sleep and not do something he isn't allowed to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My bed time depends on what shift I'm on, if I'm on call, whether it's the weekend or a weekday. I am super lucky that I can sleep at any time quite easily. On a 'normal' (according to non shift worker standards) day...bed by 11pm, up at 5.30am. 7 hours is a great sleep for me...but I function well on 6 hours. If I've been awake for over 24 hours it takes me two days to properly get over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    10:30pm on work nights (I get up at 6:15am in the morning), a little later on weekends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    5:30am is wakes up time here for EVERYONE () so most nights I'm out cold on the couch by 8:30pm. I'm still feeding my DD through the night though so I'm awake at least three times in between.

My mam has the same troubles as you OP, she just can't get to sleep, sometimes the sun is coming up before she finally nods off. Can't imagine how frustrating that is.
    I've bought her a herbal balm, not sure if it will work but anything is worth a shot.
    I'll let you now if it works.