+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know so little about how our system actually works it's embarrassing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I know so little about how our system actually works it's embarrassing.
    Me too. But I try and learn a little bit more each election. I figure by the time I'm 90 I should have it sorted 👌

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditto 😳

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mamatotwo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    The new Senate changes came in end last year or beginning of this year. They should explain how it works this year when you get your ballot paper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default As a single mother who should I vote for today?

I just did some online reading. feeling a shred more educated about it. I think for me senate vote I'll just do 1 vote. if my chosen party doesn't get through, my vote is "exhausted".

ETA: it helps if the information you're accessing is current and up to date. it's 1-6 I need to number, not just 1. the only thing that's exhausted is obviously my brain!
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 02-07-2016 at 11:27.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I have done so much reading for the first time ever, and I've done that online compass thingy, and I just still don't know...

I'm out of the loop this year so I don't even know what the general feel is or who is expected to win.

This election is the lowest I've felt about the future of Australia, and, like you, OP, I'm just trying to think of what's best for my son.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

mamatotwo  (02-07-2016),turquoisecoast  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I just did some online reading. feeling a shred more educated about it. I think for me senate vote I'll just do 1 vote. if my chosen party doesn't get through, my vote is "exhausted".
    It's 6 above the line or 12 below the line.

A vote with just a 1 will be invalid.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I have done so much reading for the first time ever, and I've done that online compass thingy, and I just still don't know...

I'm out of the loop this year so I don't even know what the general feel is or who is expected to win.

This election is the lowest I've felt about the future of Australia, and, like you, OP, I'm just trying to think of what's best for my son.
    As much as it pains me to say it, I think the Malcolm Turnball will still be the primeminister tomorrow.

In terms of the vibe of this election, from my perspective it is meh.

No promises from anyone worth voting for, just a whole lot of rhetoric about why we shouldn't vote for the other mob.

The one thing I'm sure of is that the Libs talk about increasing competition in the community services sector" by privatising DV and homelessness services is reason alone not to vote from them. Pure evil to use DV victims and homeless people to turn a profit.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-e...social_twitter
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 02-07-2016 at 11:23.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know anything about it but is privatizing it necessarily the same thing as profiting off it? I would've thought (on the surface at least) privatization of some services may mean they run more efficiently. it could be a good thing if it means there's more shelters that are less dependent on government funding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes but surely at some point you have to go with a balance of probabilities? The party (labor/greens) that is willing to at least try and pass legislation to help battlers (as to wasting $150 million on a non binding plebiscite) has to have greater chance of helping the battler in the long run?
    Which is why I vote and hope.
    Last edited by twinklify; 02-07-2016 at 13:20.