+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default As a single mother who should I vote for today?

I'm a single non working mum of a 2.5 year old and one on the way.
    I still have no idea who to vote for today so it's come down to which leader will benefit my children and MY life the most.
    Help please? I want to make the right choice for my family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    honestly? I don't think it'll make much difference which way you vote. sorry if that sounds cynical.

I hate our preferential voting system. you vote for one party but your vote indirectly ends up going to labor or liberal anyway.

if you're stuck, have you tried doing the abc vote compass quiz? it's basically a series of questions you answer (multi choice quiz style) and based on your responses, your political leanings are plotted on a graph and they show where you sit and which party is best aligned with your views.

http://votecompass.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

mamatotwo  (02-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was my concern turquoise!

Thank u for the link I'll try it out!! X

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mamatotwo For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    honestly? I don't think it'll make much difference which way you vote. sorry if that sounds cynical.

I hate our preferential voting system. you vote for one party but your vote indirectly ends up going to labor or liberal anyway.

if you're stuck, have you tried doing the abc vote compass quiz? it's basically a series of questions you answer (multi choice quiz style) and based on your responses, your political leanings are plotted on a graph and they show where you sit and which party is best aligned with your views.

http://votecompass.com
    Pretty much this.

Noone here can tell you who to vote for. Yes, Labor/Greens have better policies for people who are not so well off. It does not mean that any policies will end up going through parliament and senate.

Think about your area and the current candidates in the area. Go online - have a look at the party websites. The ABC have a good list of parties for your state that have clickable websites (makes it easy going through the senate parties!).

What is important to you?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

mamatotwo  (02-07-2016),turquoisecoast  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default As a single mother who should I vote for today?

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

Noone here can tell you who to vote for. Yes, Labor/Greens have better policies for people who are not so well off. It does not mean that any policies will end up going through parliament and senate.

?
    Yes but surely at some point you have to go with a balance of probabilities? The party (labor/greens) that is willing to at least try and pass legislation to help battlers (as to wasting $150 million on a non binding plebiscite) has to have greater chance of helping the battler in the long run?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (02-07-2016),PomPoms  (02-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    ok wtf is plebasite

I keep hearing this weird word. it reminds me of plasticine and a building site.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    ok wtf is plebasite

I keep hearing this weird word. it reminds me of plasticine and a building site.
    It's a vote. That's all. It actually has the same meaning as a referendum but it's not called that as it's not relevant to the constitution.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a non binding vote for same sex marriage. It will cost $160 million and it will basically act like an opinion poll. Parliament will still need to vote to bring in marriage equality and some pollies have already come out and said they will vote against it regardless of the outcome of the plebiscite. The big issue (apart from the massive waste of $) is the advertising campaign beforehand. It's bound to get ugly, exactly what young gay people DON'T need to see. Certain groups have already gone to the Supreme Court and attempted to be granted exemption from anti discrimination laws for the duration of the campaign, presumably so they can get away with using unfounded anti- gay hate speech in their advertisements.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to debora For This Useful Post:

A&S  (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    It's a vote. That's all. It actually has the same meaning as a referendum but it's not called that as it's not relevant to the constitution.
    thanks for the clarification.

I detest all these political words. cawkus is another one. I know I've misspelled it too

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find all of this SO confusing. In all honesty I'm very uneducated when it comes to politics etc. and never gave it much thought until this year when I became a single mum.

So the main things that are important to me is that family tax benefits/single parent pensions aren't taken away or
    reduced, education and I would also love to see equality for same sex couples marriage etc.
    I do not believe we should be focusing on refugees or letting more boats in at this point in time.
    Based on that, should I go for liberal or labor?
    Last edited by mamatotwo; 02-07-2016 at 08:12.